Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What are the most effective online scanners?

• Please log in to reply

Miso

Miso

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I noticed the other day that F-Secure which I thought was pretty good is having problems reading some CAB files and then it craps out near the end of the online virus/malware scan.

Personally, I dont like keeping full-time AV apps on because I tend to be quite careful in where I go and what I download.

What are some free nline malware apps that work well?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Personally, I dont like keeping full-time AV apps on because I tend to be quite careful in where I go and what I download.

Even the best can be hit. Look no further then Sony right now and bad people can hide infections even on a site you have visited numerous times.
I too use to use F-Secure but found the amount of time it takes to scan slowed everything down. Kaspersky seems to be one used alot for online scanning here. I can't advice on its use as only a malware tech can but I have used it and it does a thorough job but takes a while to complete.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Miso,

You may find this link of use here; http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Specifically the section underneath Free Online Virus Scanners.

I know when I'm working with users in the Malware forum, I typically have them run ESET Online Scanner.

Hope this helps,
ST.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Miso,

I would second what rshaffer says. It doesn't matter how careful you are, malware writers will exploit any vulnerabilities they can. For example, I have some anecdotal evidence that Nickelodeon's site had infected links on it; that's a site aimed at children, offering online games and activities. The assumption would be that it's safe. I've had users hit by rogues while visiting other supposedly safe sites. While I know that some antivirus programs can effect performance, I would recommend you try Microsoft Security Essentials. I run it on all of my home PCs, and I don't notice any real performance impact. It also scans much more quickly than some other products, and it's free. Many of the security experts at this site use and recommend this product.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would also add to everything posted that running your system without a Real Time AV on your system is like playing with matches in a dynamite shack. For a while you are ok but eventually you will get blown up.
With the introductions of 100's if not 1000's of new virus's everyday why would you take a chance that your system could be hacked or infected so easy without the barest of security programs on your system? I speak from experience as I was once the same way and thought nah it won't happen to me. Well two years ago I was hit by a nasty infection that the only option was to format my system and I lost a lot of data that I had collected over the years. Now I run a AV, Malware, Spyware and windows firewall 24\7 to protect my system. Understand that even the best will not stop 100% of the daily new infections but why take the risk and have a open door policy for anyone to get into your system and if not infect it but steal all your personal information?
Just some friendly geek suggestions. :)