Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card Help

• Please log in to reply

caitiebugg87

caitiebugg87

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Awhile ago I bought a eMachines windows 7, and my boyfriend (who was playing video games on it) took the video card out of his old computer and put it into mine. Well of course, his video card died and now I can't see my screen. (we just bought a new monitor, so I know it's not that). Anyways, so I wan to go back to using the integrated video card, but my bf cannot figure out how to re enable it. So, my question is, how do I re enable the integrated video card and get my computer working again?

thanks!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
When the card was installed, it probably disabled the on-board in the BIOS. So you need to get back into the BIOS Setup Menu and enable on-board. Unfortunately, if nothing appears on the monitor, that is not too easy, so you may have to reset the BIOS (clear the CMOS). Check your PC or motherboard manual for the preferred method. It typically involves unplugging from the wall, touching bare metal of the case to discharge any static, then moving a jumper for a few seconds, or pulling the battery for about 1 minute. Newer motherboards have a nice reset button you press for a second.

Then, the first time you boot, go right into the BIOS Setup Menu (hopefully you will have video) and set your date and time, and be sure to "Save" and Exit.

caitiebugg87

caitiebugg87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It won't let me select enable video card for some reason. :/

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
he did unplug his dead card right?

caitiebugg87

caitiebugg87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
No he didn't take it out, and I told him to just disable it, and he said he cant remember how. But he also said if he did disable or take it out then there wouldn't be a video card for the computer to boot with. And when I went to bios and clicked the down arrow to the video card part it skipped right over it so i couldn't even enable it. So I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the other one is still in there.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Yeah, pull the other one out and i'll bet the bios will auto-magically select the onboard graphics

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Yeah, pull the other one out and i'll bet the bios will auto-magically select the onboard graphics

Following the guidance offered by Digerati in post #2 of course.
Unless the option has been disabled in the BIOS an add on card will normally override the onboard chip, even if the add on card is not functioning correctly, the add on card is detected in your BIOS so the onboard video chip is being overridden.