Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

killdisk problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
hello. i have a computer that i wanted to wipe clean and reinstall windows 7. after i ran killdisk and it completed, i then put in the windows 7 cd. the computer did not load up and an error came up that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" when i put killdisk back in it says that my drives are allocated so i figure that the computer is not detecting my drives? can anyone please help me? thank you in advance!

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In order to boot your PC from the Windows 7 disc, you first have to ensure that the cd/dvd drive is configured as the First Boot Device in the boot options in the BIOS Setup.
To get into the BIOS Setup you need to press a certain key as soon as you see the manufacturer's splash-screen when you turn on the PC.
The actual key you need to press varies by make & model, but it should be shown at the bottom of the splash-screen.
It should say something like "Press X to enter Setup" (where X denotes the actual key).
Most often it will be the 'Del' key or one of the 'F' keys.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 05 June 2011 - 07:03 AM.