Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Welcome Screen, Fast User Switching Disabled

• Please log in to reply

Tokay

Tokay

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I've been having this particular problem for a while. This is my mom's old computer and she used to have NetClient (or at least I think it was) installed on it. Quite a long time ago, I uninstalled it when trying to change how users logged in and out of the computer, as it told me that this program specifically was blocking the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching from being enabled. Now that is has been removed, I have been getting a different error message, while these two options are still blocked. The message is as follows:

"A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: msgina.dll."

This is a Dell Latitude D620 laptop, running Windows XP. Any advice?

Thanks.

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Welcome to G2G Tokay

I found this :

Third-party graphical identification and authentication products
The Msgina.dll file interacts with the Winlogon service to provide the Welcome screen and the Fast User Switching feature. Third-party software can replace the current Graphical Identification and Authentication data with their own Graphical Identification and Authentication data. The Fast User Switching feature and the Microsoft Welcome screen are not available if you are using a third-party product that replaces the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll).

For more information about restoring the original Graphical Identification and Authentication file, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 302346 The default Windows logon interface may not appear after installing third-party program

from this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294739

Hope this helps :)

Edited by gorham, 02 June 2011 - 05:21 AM.

Tokay

Tokay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Incredible!

It worked! I had imagined I'd be writing be to say that, yeah, I've tried that before, but to no success, but it actually worked. Interestingly, when I first started getting this problem, I searched around a lot online and found that same solution, to delete that string from the registry, but when I tried it myself, it wouldn't allow me to delete it for some odd reason. Something must have changed since then.

Anyhow, thanks for help- I appreciate it :)

-sebastian

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Great glad it worked this time around. :).