Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive failure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Garrett33

Garrett33

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I read through a few of the tutorials and they all seemed to be about removing the virus/malware, which has already been removed as far as I know. I'll explain:
I turned on the laptop and the first thing that pops up is Windows Vista Recovery and it does a scan. It says 11 Errors detected, and on the Error Report there is
  • (1) Bad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation table
  • (2)Read time of hard drive clusters less than 500 ms
  • (3) Hard drive doesn't respond to system commands
  • (4) Boot sector of the hard drive disk is damaged and
  • (5) 32% of HDD space is unreadable.
All of these failed when it tried to fix them. It then says "standart software modules are not eligible to fix the errors of this type. Advanced Module requred to fix detected critical errors" and gives me the option to buy it. And yes, it says standart with a "T" at the end.

• I keep getting an alert that "The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA hard disks. IT is recommended that you restart the system." I've restarted and nothing happens.
  • Another alert I get less often is, Windows - Delayed Write Filed "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\System32\\496A8300. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware."
  • Another alert reads Critical Hard Disk Drive Error
  • RAM memory usage is critically high, RAM memory Failure.
  • All of my files are gone as well.

While I was reading all of this, an alert from AVG popped up and said something about a trojan, allow or quarantine. So I pressed quarantine, It removed the trojan and stopped four processes. But I'm still getting all of the above messages/alerts/failures even after restarting. So my question is, is there anyway I can save my files? If not, will using the recovery discs save my computer?

I apologize if I should have run some things before hand but I think the virus is gone and it's just the rest of the computer that's messed up. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Edited by Garrett33, 04 June 2011 - 12:05 AM.

Advertisements

Garrett33

Garrett33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I know it says bump but I'm bumping anyways, I would like for some answer whether it's that I'm doomed or nobody knows.

Garrett33

Garrett33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I paid to have somebody fix my problem, thanks to the staff here. I got a helpful email, and hopefully it will be of use to those of you who are looking for answers.

Hi,
I guess only staff can reply to your post, so hopefully you'll get this message. You may have already sorted out your problem, but maybe you can post this for others who find your thread googling the 'standart' message like I did.

Your malware is Fakefrag, aka WindowsRecovery. The good news is that your hardware and files are ok. Here are some links for more info and steps for recovery:

http://forums.malwar...showtopic=79287
http://www.symantec....defragger-sales
http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=2166490

Chris

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you had posted in the waiting room instead of bumping your topic, you would have been answered. We look for posts with zero replies, any more than that and we assume you are being assisted.

We do know of this malware, and we have the tools to reset and make your files visible again in addition to removing the malware.
We are sorry you feel this way, but we are all volunteers here and have real life to attend to as well

Do you require further assistance ?

Garrett33

Garrett33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I don't think so, my brother in law completely wiped the computer and reinstalled windows. Thank you, though.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry we could not be of more assistance