Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Keyboard Problem while Gaming

• Please log in to reply

frotorious

frotorious

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an HP Pavilion Laptop model zv5340us and I've been having a frustrating problem that I'm not sure whether it's software or hardware. It seems the keyboard gets 'stuck' often (mostly in gaming). Often, while typing, I will click a key, and will be unable to type for about 1.5 seconds while the key is continually pressed (if I were to click the 'w' to nudge forward in my game, World of Warcraft, sometimes ill move forward for over a second before the keyboard becomes responsive again; when normally typing, however, the last key pressed isn't continually outputted). This is usually just for those 1.5 seconds, but sometimes the key continues to 'stick' and it's as if it's still being pressed (I'de continue to move forward in the previous example) and is stuck until I press it again.

I say 'stuck' in quotes because the key does not seem to stay depressed, and I have tried popping up the keys that do it the most and cleaning it out and it hasn't stopped. I bought this laptop just a few months ago and it started doing this after a week or two, so I don't think it's dust or buildup in the keyboard.

Any ideas or easy fixes? It's not a huge problem, but it's frustrating for gaming and stuff. Thanks :tazz:

Other notes:
+ I've tried adjusting the repeat rates and stuff, and it makes no difference.
+ I recently formatted the computer and set-up the basic stuff that came with it, and it was already doing it, so I didn't install some sort of virus or something, unless it's part of the basic software/drivers
+ It seems kind of like it's keyboard related because when I clean under the keys and do stuff with the keyboard, the problem gets slightly better for a short time.
+ It seems kind of like it's the computer itself, however, because it seems to happen much more often when I'm using a lot of RAM (doing several processes or playing World of Warcraft). I have 512MB DDR SDRAM.

Advertisements

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'de love to get this problem solved... :tazz:

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
?

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
last bump I guess

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Buy a USB keyboard. Or spray WD40 on the keyboard!!

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Soon (in the next couple days), I'll be popping off every single key on the keyboard and cleaning out whatever crap is under the keys. Hopefully theres plenty of crap down there so I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.

Any info would be appreciated: An easy way to pop the keys off; How to clean the keys and under them well; A better solution to this problem; etc...

Thanks

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
best way to do it I have to say mate ;) if it keeps jammin ull be thinkin of :tazz: dont do that. Just get a USB keyboard and dont spray WD40 on it may do something bad if it gets inside...

Edited by Vision, 23 July 2005 - 12:30 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I don't know what hp would charge for a new keyboard, but dell's are under $40. Depends on if the laptop is under warranty or not. It would be easier just to replace the keyboard.

by the way, if its running a celeron processor then most likely you are seeing issues with processor utilization wich is resulting in the keyboard delay. easy way to test this is to test with a USB keyboard.... :tazz:

frotorious

frotorious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks A LOT for the replies people, it's a big help in deciding what I want to do. Yeah, the USB keyboard thing is always another option. I've been trying to find someone with one so I don't have to pay for one and so I can test out the problem to see if its the keyboard or my computer itself. At this point, however, I think it may be my computer, because it does seem to happen more often when I'm putting a strain on my memory. I'll be increasing my ram from 512MB DDR to 1.2GB DDR shortly though, so who knows, maybe itll help.

I don't have a celuron, I have an AMD Athlon 64-bit machine (zv5340us is the HP model if you're actually interested enough to look it up).

And are you sure about buying a new keyboard? On this machine, I don't see how the keyboard can be detachable at all; seems all they'de be able to do is what I'm going to do, pop off the keys and clean (and replace the keys, but I'll just clean those too).

Anyways, I'll be getting my RAM from newegg sometime shortly, and I'll also be cleaning out the keyboard, so let's just hope that does the trick.