I opened the case, and first thing I see is the heat sink is hanging half-off of the CPU since the plastic mount is broken.
I replaced the mount, cleaned and applied dielectric grease.....still doesn't fix it.
I purchased a refurbished power supply.....still does the same thing.
I inspected every inch of the motherboard and it's various cards and RAM. Two capacitors on the video card are blown. I replaced the video card with a new one from Ebay. Still doesn't work.
I've also inspected the RAM, and reinstalled both 512 sticks. Pulled the power AND the motherboard battery for several days, and replaced the motherboard battery with a new one.
Just as before the hardware replacements, it will sometimes make it all the way to the desktop, but usually shuts down before the desktop appears.
I know this is an old PC, but it's just for my 10 y/o to use...I was hoping to bring it back to life if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Edited by radjxf, 02 June 2011 - 08:56 PM.