Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell A940 error "communication not available"

• Please log in to reply

penguinshrink

penguinshrink

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've had the same printer (Dell A940) and CPU (Dell Inspiron 530) for about 3 years. A few months ago the printer stopped printing. I have already tried turning off and back on again, unplugging/replugging, and uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers. When I reinstall the drivers (from Dell's site), a test page will actually print - this tells me there is SOME communication between the CPU and printer. The copy function still works (which I think is pretty much internal to the printer). It does not scan.

How can I fix it from here? What else can I try? Or is it just time to get a new printer?

Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Hi -
Just personally, if this is not a 'heavy duty' printer, then a life of 3 years seems not too bad to me.
I have replaced mine about every 2 to 3 years, as the cost of ink becomes more than repairing the old printer.
I purchased my last Canon (good model) about 2 years ago and it is just starting to play up now, even though I look after it.
Dell are known for producing 'good enough' printers and accessories, although having said that, some models are better than others and will last longer.
Lets hope someone else can help restore it for you, but you are trying all the right options now.

Thank You