Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Theater to Laptop Not Working

• Please log in to reply

RichardGuy

RichardGuy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to rig my Panasonic home theater system to my laptop via digital optical (TOSLINK) and I can't seem to get it to work. The cable runs from the digital optical port on the receiver, to a USB sound card (http://www.turtlebea...e-micro-ii.aspx) which accepts digital audio via S/PDIF adapter, which is in turn plugged in to my laptop. I have made sure the receiver was on digital optical mode, the computer's speakers are set to the digital optical device, and everything is in proper working condition.

The thing is, I know for a fact that every single component works. The computer works fine, the USB sound card works fine (I can plug in my headphones/regular analog computer speakers, which work fine), the digital optical cable is functional, and the receiver/speaker system is working normally. My friend hooked up his laptop to my home theater system and he was able to play just fine, and when I plug in my computer to HIS home theater system through digital optical, it works fine. But, I can't plug MY laptop to MY home theater and make it work, which I find very peculiar. I know it does work because I was able to get it before (after an hour trying), but only once, by simply restarting my computer. The next morning, however, it stopped working again.

The home theater system I have: Panasonic SC-PT480

I'm using a custom built laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I'm assuming there would be some type of driver issue, but I don't know what to do to solve it. I've tried reinstalling the device, reinstalling my onboard sound, updating, restarting numerous times, but sound never transfers from my computer to the speakers.

I appreciate any help, any suggestions as to what I should try out. I really don't want to return the thing just because it's not compatable with my system (which I have proven it is, but only once).

Edited by RichardGuy, 02 June 2011 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
It may be too early (not enough coffee) but I am not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to use your notebook as a source? But your title says HT "to" laptop.

the computer's speakers are set to the digital optical device

This is where I am getting lost. How do your computer speaker's fit in here? Don't you want audio out of the notebook to be input into your receiver to be heard through your HT speakers? And in that case, wouldn't you want to disable or silence the computer's speakers?

which accepts digital audio via S/PDIF adapter

That device you mention appears to be audio only - and designed to output audio (not video) from the notebook to another device. It does not "accept" audio via S/PDIF, it supplies it.

So, I am going to assume you are playing a DVD on your notebook and you want to output the surround sound to your HT system. If you plug your headphones into that adapter and hear the audio fine, then it would appear the adapter works, at least the analog side. If you are able to take your notebook to a friend's, and with no other configuration changes connect a TOSLINK cable from this Micro II adapter to his HT system and get digital out and through his HT speakers, then it would appear the digital side is working too.

If you then take your notebook back to your house and try that same TOSLINK connection to your HT system and it does not work, then that would suggest your HT system is not cooperating.

RichardGuy

RichardGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My terminology might not be the best, I apologize. Yes I am trying to use the notebook as the source of the audio. "Laptop to Home Theater" would be more appropriate I guess.

How do your computer speaker's fit in here? Don't you want audio out of the notebook to be input into your receiver to be heard through your HT speakers? And in that case, wouldn't you want to disable or silence the computer's speakers?

What I meant was that my computer's playback device is set to the sound card device instead of the onboard speakers, so whatever I plug into the sound card is where the sound should be outputted. (Volume Mixer -> Playback Devices -> Audio Advantage Micro Device (Speakers))

If you then take your notebook back to your house and try that same TOSLINK connection to your HT system and it does not work, then that would suggest your HT system is not cooperating.

You hit the nail on the head as to what I tried. I figured that my HT system isn't cooperating with my computer. But, if this is the case, what course of action should I take? I was going to reformat my system anyways, wondering if that could possibly have an effect? If not, what other things should I try? My last option is to return it and buy another HT system that I am confident works with my system (the one my friend has)... but I like the ones I have now, if only it would work when I want it it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Not sure what you can do but make sure you HT settings are right. Sorry.