Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Host File Hijack. High Memory Usage by IE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I can't remove it via the add remove programs list, although it is listed. I went to program files and opened it up and it tells me it's not installed. I guess it needs to be reactivated so that I can remove it.

Do you mean this one
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
If so it is not a problem as it is a double check line

It could be both. In add/remove there are two programs listed: Freecorder 5 and Freecorder Toolbar. How can I tell?

Edited by SandyStone, 05 June 2011 - 05:00 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would recommend that you remove both and see if that improves your performance

Using Revo Uninstaller free will ensure that it alll goes

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Okay, you are not going to believe what happened this evening. Or maybe you will seeing you work with security isses.

I got a phone call from from some guy telling me that my computer is infected and they have to make sure it's okay.

I'm like, my computer is fine I just checked it.

He says I'm not talking about that. Blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, I'm not interested and I hung up and Immediaty scanned my computer with Norton and Malwarebytes. Malwarebyes found 2 things. Which I removed and rebooted.

Norton offers a scanner called Norton Power Eraser. Should I use this?

Anyway this guy with a heavy, heavy indian accent, has my phone number.

I think they have been calling my home before. On May 30th they called 4 times, or at least there was nobody on the line. They sort of phoned at even times 3:51, 5:31, 6:21, 7:45. I thought someones computer has gone wacky or someone has some sort of compulsive disorder. Or maybe an axe muderer.

No more PayPal for me.

The Revo Uninstaller: The evidence remover will delete any credit card data and passwords correct?

Are there and other security programs that would be of use to me?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is a total scam - I had one last week, being the bad arse that I am I managed to keep them on the phone for 45 minutes before I told them to get lost. :)

Their aim is manifold, they are after doing any one or all of the following:

Download a keylogger to your system
Get remote access to your system
Take your credit card details (which they will then sell on ) for doing nothing

They are cold calling at random to catch the gullible who do not know any different, and I believe that they succeed enough to make it worthwhile

So if you just hung up then you are OK

The only peolpe who can determine if you have a virus on your computer are your ISP and they will not offer to clean it just tell you to remove it, end of story.

The Revo Uninstaller: The evidence remover will delete any credit card data and passwords correct?

Yep sure will :unsure:

So anyway how is your system behaving at the moment ?

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

That is a total scam - I had one last week, being the bad arse that I am I managed to keep them on the phone for 45 minutes before I told them to get lost.

Yeah I was thinking afterwards that I should have kept them on the line longer just to mess with their minds. :)

I could feel the deception coming off him like a foul odor. Some people have no shame.

In other news, my system is running great. :unsure:

Norton is a total resource hog. What security do you recommend? I just recently bought this version of Norton, so I will keep using it for now. I like it's registry cleaner though. I guess revo takes care of that in a deeper way.

About Malwarebytes: The quarantine is holding the bad stuff, do I just leave it there or delete it?

And one last query: Windows firewall, have it turned off and Norton takes over?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Norton is a total resource hog. What security do you recommend? I

Yep - but not as bad as it once was. MBAM should suffice as long as you update before you run, I would suggest weekly

About Malwarebytes: The quarantine is holding the bad stuff, do I just leave it there or delete it?

You can kill it :unsure:

And one last query: Windows firewall, have it turned off and Norton takes over?

Norton will probably do that automatically

Enjoy your malware free ride, and I hope you do not have to return :)

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Everything is still running smoothy.

I'm just logging in one last time to say say thank you very, very much I'm lovin' the Revo Uninstaller. And with that, I hope I never have to speak to you again! :) :unsure:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.