Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

after windows boots, mouse and keyboad won't work

• Please log in to reply

tcrochet

tcrochet

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a dell E521 with windows vista. The keyboad and mouse no longer function after windows boots. I am able to hit f8 and get into safe mode, but once windows starts the keyboad and mouse no longer work. They are usb, no ps2 ports on this model. I tried system restore and that did not work. I switched to the front usb ports and no change. I tried last known good config and that did not work either. Ran AVG rescue cd to search for viruses and one was found and removed but no change. not sure what else to do.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
With the power turned off and disconnected turn the rear of the PC to face you and then connect the keyboard to the top left hand USB port, reconnect the power lead, check any other cables are secure and then reboot and your keyboard should then work,
or when in safe mode;
Try reinstalling your drivers, available @ http://support.dell....n&catid=&impid=
A guide to installing Dell drivers http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but let us know the outcome good or bad.

Edited by phillpower2, 05 June 2011 - 07:36 AM.

Linda_C

Linda_C

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I joined because I needed a similar fix. This advice worked for me. Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi Linda_C :unsure:
That is great news and thank you for taking the time to share it :)
Enjoy the forums there is a wealth of knowledge freely available :yes: