Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup drive D:

• Please log in to reply

A.J.L

A.J.L

• Pip
  • 2 posts
windows vista home premium. I ran backup before installing a new program ( open office). the backup failed due to low disc space on D: drive my default backup partition. my C: drive has about 120Gb of 320GB used. the backup drive is set at factory default, around 60 or 80GB. the math is obvious however, what is the best way to fix this? can i increase my D drive without losing data or can i do a new backup that dosent take the whole c drive is that even possible now that i am low on backup space i am fairly tech savy so i will understand most directions. this one has me stumped for some reason.
thanks, A.J.L

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Do you have an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Sony, etc)? If you do, D:\ drive is usually a partition that has your system recovery stored on it. It wasn't meant to be used for backups. You can backup to a CD or an external drive ....

A.J.L

A.J.L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes, gateway oem. however, still the issue is low disc space on what you call restore drive D how do i get from there to here. are you saying backup to cd and then crash my d drive? specifics would be nice about now.