Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random BSODs and crashes when powering up system before Windows can bo

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahhh Magic ISO.... do you have it installed and if so can you please uninstall it?
All 3 dump files shows Magic ISO causing the issue.

Advertisements

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I was told that when the system can't figure out what's causing the crash, it will blame it on ntoskrnl. I didn't know that.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Magic ISO? I don't even know what that is?

What is that? An imaging program?

Wait, he has a game on here called Master of Magic. He uses DOSBOX to play it. That might just be causing it. He installed that before these crashes began.

Edited by MelancholyRose, 22 July 2011 - 12:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Magic Iso according to their site :

Simple and Intelligent

MagicISO is a powerful CD/DVD image file creating/editing/extracting tool. It can open / create / edit /extract CD/DVD image files, and it can convert bin to iso and back. as well as make ISO file from DVD/CD-ROM or hard disk, and handle bootable information at meanwhile.

I would check add\remove programs and see if it is listed there. If so I would uninstall it and see if the crashes happen again.

What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need in your case Magic ISO
Then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Dude, it's not even on here. There is no program on this computer with that name. I've done a search for it, looked in both program file folders, and checked the uninstall list. It's not there. That program isn't even on this computer.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Here's some images to prove it.

Attached Thumbnails

• uninstall.jpg
  • search.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry if this is upsetting you but I can only tell you what the logs are showing.
I read what DosBox is and it is a dos emulation program and not a ISO program.
There is a chance it may be remnants of the program left that are causing the issue. Your PC Pit stop log shows neither magic iso or dosbox installed so I can't depend on that.
Did you use the windows search to look for the program or just a physical search through the programs folder for it?

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I did both. I physically looked in each folder and ran a search for it.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, or to sound impatient, I appreciate all of the help you've given me and how much you've tried to help. But I've been running in circles for so long it's driven me insane. The computer won't tell me what's wrong, and no one else seems to know, either. And now the computer thinks a program it doesn't even have installed is causing it. I guess I'm just at my wit's end and about to pull my hair out.

I'm sorry, it's not your fault. You're being very helpful. But I feel as if we're close to figuring it out, and there's a giant brick wall blocking me from the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem and I really do understand the frustration.
Now let me ask I know you have win 7 installed. Do you have the installation disk for it?
There is a couple of ways we can go but they both require the Win7 installation disk to do them.
Also you posted this:

Wait, he has a game on here called Master of Magic. He uses DOSBOX to play it. That might just be causing it. He installed that before these crashes began.

I'm actually thinking the same as you and this may be part of the issue. Do you know where he got this game from? Did he by chance download it from a torrent site or any other P2P program?

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
He bought it from GOG.com. He had it on his old Windows XP machine and he transferred it onto the new one after I built it. It was one of the first things he put on his machine, he tells me.

I also do still have the Win7 disc.

Edited by MelancholyRose, 22 July 2011 - 02:25 PM.

Advertisements

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Uninstalling the game didn't help. Still getting crashes.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Checked the disc and found no errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to move on to the repair installation of Win7 and see if that works.

OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I actually found the culprit, so there's no need to do that. Thankfully.

I unplugged his optical drive. A clean boot from power on and no crashes at all. I plugged it back in. Powered on and started up, crashed. I unplugged it a second time. Started up, and it boots clean and never crashes.

Something is wrong with the optical drive being connected to the PSU, and only the PSU. I still have it connected to the motherboard. I don't know if this means something is wrong with the power cable, or something is wrong with the optical drive, or both. I need to know what to do to figure out which it is, because I'm not sure how to. Should I just replace the power cable?

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Okay, actually what happened, was I had his system powered on and running smooth for several minutes until he began browsing certain websites. Then it crashed again. I still have his optical drive unplugged. From my own personal experience, his computer will remain totally stable when powered on after unplugging the optical drive, but this last time it crashed after about 7 or 8 minutes and using Firefox.

I was told I should also use two separate power cords for the HDDs instead of just one cord with two connectors, so I'll do that, too, in a few minutes.

Edited by MelancholyRose, 25 July 2011 - 06:26 AM.