Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSODs and crashes when powering up system before Windows can bo

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In your first post you said this:

my boyfriend's machine has been having this recurring issue where his system will crash to BSODs if he ever shuts the machine down and powers it back on

Has this been happening since day of building his system?

Advertisements

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I actually don't know. I want to say yes because he's had many BSODs.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I tried plugging a separate power cord into the other hard drive and powered on.

The system crashed with a Fatal System Error and said the computer has been shut down. It was stop error code 21a.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Tried with my PSU and still failed to boot. Looks like I might have to reinstall Windows after all. And if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what'll happen. I'll probably set the thing on fire. And my entire apartment.

Edited by MelancholyRose, 25 July 2011 - 07:38 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

And if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what'll happen. I'll probably set the thing on fire. And my entire apartment.

:)

Don't do that and I asked because is it at all remotely possible you may have a standoff in the wrong place under the motherboard or one that doesn't have a screw in it?

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Naw, the motherboard is secured correctly. I've already checked that before, even tested all of the screws.

I tried using one stick of RAM at a time to power on the machine. One stick actually crashed the system. The other stick booted it up perfectly fine and it hasn't crashed since I turned it on, and it's been on for almost half an hour. When the other stick crashed the system I received this message from Microsoft, I attached a screenshot.

I'm going to repeatedly turn the machine on and off with the single RAM stick in it and see what happens. Then maybe I'll test my own RAM in his machine, too, since when I put both of my sticks inside his computer, it gave me a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.

Attached Thumbnails

• memory.jpg

Edited by MelancholyRose, 25 July 2011 - 09:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm interesting.
Post 21 shows you did the memtest on each module with no errors showing. You might want to redo the test on the suspected bad module and see what it says.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Got 4 completely clean boots on powering on with the one "good" stick of RAM. The fifth suddenly crashed to a Fatal System Error. It was very smooth and booted fine until that fifth boot up. This was also while my optical drive was unplugged, so it's not because of the optical drive. Something is up with the RAM.

Edited by MelancholyRose, 25 July 2011 - 10:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would say either the ram or maybe a faulty memory slot on the motherboard.

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
All right, so, after I was told to do some BIOS tweaking, it got better. I was guided to adjust the voltages and timings for the AMD CPU, and I guess AMD CPUs have some issue with stability sometimes and require these kind of tweaks.

Before, his RAM voltage, frequency, and timings were all off. When I tweaked them, the crashes and hang-ups stopped on boot up.

I think this is considered solved now.

I wanted to thank you for all of the help you provided me and all of the assistance you gave. I couldn't have done it without your support!

Good luck :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

All right, so, after I was told to do some BIOS tweaking, it got better. I was guided to adjust the voltages and timings for the AMD CPU, and I guess AMD CPU's have some issue with stability sometimes and require these kind of tweaks.

Who instructed you to do the above?
As long as it works now that is the resolution I'm sure you wanted. Congratulations MelancholyRose. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Who instructed you to do the above?

A RAM expert on another forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

MelancholyRose

MelancholyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
If someone else has a very similar issue, it might help to read this forum.

http://www.sevenforu...-system-16.html