Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LG DVD-R/RW

• Please log in to reply

Texx01

Texx01

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
This has been an ongoing problem for the last two months, one day it just stopped working and that's that its like a switch was turned off. I would like to know if its dead and needs replaced or maybe it can be saved.

LG super Multi DVD rewriter GSA-H22L with Light scribe.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi Texx01
Any signs of life at all from the device as in flashing drive light, whirring noise or the disk tray opening & closing etc + does the device show up in the BIOS or Device Manager?
Dependent on the answers to the above possible causes may include mechanical or electrical failure, a disconnected or bad IDE ribbon or less likely (due to the symptoms) bad drivers.

Texx01

Texx01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes there are signs of life it will try and run the disc (front light comes on) the drive shows up under My computer as a dvdr/rw but with a disc in it will show empty, it will open and close when told to both with the manual button and with the eject command. I have tried CDs,DVDs both with the same above results. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them but with no change.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Unfortunately all the signs are pointing to the laser part of the device having failed with the strongest indications being that the drive shows in My Computer, it ejects the disk tray on command but it cannot read disks being strong pointers, if the IDE ribbon were the issue you would not get the first 2 points above.
Here is a good replacement drive for you to consider http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827151175
Can I just mention that if it is suggested to you to spend $9.99 on a DVD/CD drive cleaning kit to resolve the issue that you think long and hard about it before spending your cash.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Quick and simple test, try booting off a bootable CD. This will rule out a problem with your operating system causing it not to read.

A few different examples here in this How-To thread:
http://www.geekstogo...-image-to-disc/

Obviously try making it with another computer if you are unable to given your current situation. :)

Texx01

Texx01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK tried the boot disc and still nothing, so it's dead then.

Thanks for the help and the link to the drive from Newegg!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Good troubleshooting! Last thing to double check is the connections inside, perhaps the data or power cables are loose or disconnected perhaps?