Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open any files

• Please log in to reply

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i have windows xp and when i turn it on it loads everything perfectly however i cannot open any files or any programs on the computer. Every single time i double click on it a window pops up and says what would you like to open it with, can't get access to command or anything. Please help. system recovery won't work same thing happens . HELPPPPP.....

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi WildTarzan
Any problems leading up to this, any new software/hardware added/removed or any settings changed?
Try;
Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
In the Advanced settings box, click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
Click OK.

Let us know if this resolves the issue and if it does I suggest you go to http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if you are unfortunate enough to have a malware issue you may be able to resolve it by following the self help guide but if not start a new topic at the malware forum and not post any details or logs here please, do however provide a link to this thread so that the malware techs can see what if any steps have already been taken.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If that doesn't help, try the "EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)" from the Doug Knox web site.

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
phillip i tried doing that but didn't work but i finally fixed it went on windows xp assocation fixes and managed to download the reg key and fixed it....i apresicate you guys' help..this website is the best so far not one person has let me down everybody seem to know their stuff. BIG THANKS TO GEEKSTOGO CREW....u guys are doing amazing job.....

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

If that doesn't help, try the "EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)" from the Doug Knox web site.

Ztruker big thanks to you bro...i managed to fix it hella happy w you feedback....have a great day brother.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Great news to hear you resolved the file issue yourself WildTarzan :)
Thank you for taking the time to post how the issue was resolved so that it may help others :unsure:

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
dude i was so happy that thing got fixed u have no idea.....u guys rock and really know your stuff...i log on every day try to learn something new from u guys....