Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer has stopped working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

I think that you need only first one: Operating System reinstallation DVD WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT

For backup I recommend you to save all your valuable data (documents, multimedia files etc.). Also export your bookmarks if you use them and personal certificates if you're using them. Here is a good guide of what and how to backup.

Advertisements

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Render,

I read through the link you posted concerning backup. It recommends the following:

My Documents
Outlook backup
registry backup
email backup
messenger backup
system backup

I am backing up documents, photos, etc. now.

I don't use Outlook. I don't care if I lose emails. I don't use Messenger.

So, do I need to back up the registry and the system if I already have the OS disc?

Thanks.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
These are only recommendations. Backup only things you want to. Probably you don't want to backup registry and system since your machine is somehow broken.

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Okay. I will take some time today to do the backup.

What's the next step as far as formating/reinstalling? I've never done this before.

Thanks.

btw, hope you're feeling better today.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

When you are ready please follow the steps below. We will try first with Windows repair install (aka: in-place upgrade install) to fix your currently installed Windows 7 and preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system drivers. I recommend you to print out these instructions.

• Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account.
  • Disable any 3rd party firewall, antivirus, or other security program to avoid it from possibly preventing the repair in-place upgrade installation of Windows 7.
  • Place your Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD drive, while still in Windows 7, and click on the Run setup.exe option in the AutoPlay window from within the currently installed Windows 7. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: If the AutoPlay window does not open, then open the drive folder in Computer and run the setup.exe file.

Posted Image
  • If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
  • Click on the Install Now button to start the installation. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • If prompted, uncheck the I want to help make Windows installation better box (unless you would like to), and click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Windows 7 will now check online for and install any available installation updates. (See screenshots below)

Posted Image
    Posted Image
  • Check the I accept the license terms box and click on Next. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Click on the Upgrade option. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • The installation of Windows 7 will now begin. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: During the installation process, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times.

Posted Image
  • After the final restart, you will see this screen for a moment. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Type in your Windows 7 product key number.
  • Uncheck the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked, then click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: You can activate Windows 7 later after you make sure it is running properly. If you chose to automatically activate Windows online when you set up your computer, automatic activation begins trying to activate your copy of Windows three days after you log on for the first time.

Posted Image
  • Click on Use recommended settings to allow automatic Windows Updates and proper security settings. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: For more information about these recommended settings, click on the Learn more about each option link in this window.

Posted Image
  • Select your time zone and set your time and date settings, then click on the Next button. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Click on your computer's correct network location type location to select it and have the settings for that location automatically applied. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Windows 7 will now prepare your desktop to startup. (See screenshots below)

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Check to see if you are missing any user files. If you are, then you can copy them from the C:\Windows.old or the hidden protected operating system C:\$INPLACE.~TR and C:\WINDOWS.~Q backup folders.
  • Install all of your device drivers if needed, then all Windows Updates.
  • When done, all you will need to do is to activate Windows 7.

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Render,

May have really screwed up.

about 1 minute before I got your email I was following steps online to reinstall, chose custom rather than upgrade. deleted a partition. got your email and stopped the installation process. when computer restarted all I have is a black screen with:

CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR.

What have I done??

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... If you backed up your data then everything is OK. I just wanted to try that in-place upgrade install as I've never tried it before.

We will run install process once again, just tell me the link where you've followed those install instructions.

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Render,

Yes, everything that needed to be backed up was.

Here is link to instructions that I was following.

Step 9 is where I think I screwed up. I deleted partitioin "Primary." Then I got the instructions from you and stopped the reinstallation. I then also skipped your instructions about looking for updates (because that's the problem with this machine, I cant' get online) and moved on to pick "upgrade." After that, well, here I am.

http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Here is a good tutorial for clean Windows 7 installation process. Please print it out and if you will stuck at some point just drop me a message here in this topic from your other computer and I will try to help you.:)

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for link.

but the problem I have now is when I boot the computer I can hear the installation cd spinning away, but all I get is the black screen with "CDBOOT: Couldnt' find boot manager." Also, the computer is set to load dvd/cd first...

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Is your Windows 7 setup DVD in your optical drive? When you turn on/restart your computer there should be this message on a screen after a while: Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... Can you see it?

And tell me how did you start installation process before?

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Render,

Yes, cd is in the drive.

I started it before following the instructions I posted to you in Comment #89. I was at Step 13. I think me deleting partition named "primary" screwed me up. After I deleted that partition, I got your email and decided to stop the procedure I was working on and follow your instructions.

Let me know if I'm not making any sense.

Middlegrove

Middlegrove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
okay, I switched cd/dvd to be the ONLY one to start and now I have "Press any key to boot from cd or dvd."

However, I have pressed quite a few keys and nothing has happened.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Sounds like we have to change drive boot order. To do that we must enter your BIOS and change it there. To assist you further I need to know a model name/number of your Dell's laptop.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Turn off your laptop, leave setup CD/DVD in drive and then turn it on. When you will see message Press any key..... do that. It should start.