Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please diagnose my machine (see pic)

• Please log in to reply

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
http://tinypic.com/r/2afnd46/7

It gets in these spells in which it is basically frozen and unusable. I have fooled around with paging files in the past but I can't seem to find a good guide of what they should be.

Also, the CPU usage is very unpredictable and spikes to almost 100% and then to 0% in seconds. Usually when it's frozen, page file usage is super high.

Is anything abnormal here?

What can I do to speed up my machine? Do I just need more RAM?

Thank you SO much! :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi janedoe1 :)
How to best configure page files in XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482

Also, the CPU usage is very unpredictable and spikes to almost 100% and then to 0% in seconds. Usually when it's frozen, page file usage is super high.

Does this happen when doing anything in particular, surfing the net or watching you tube etc.
I have added your PC specs below (make and model details taken from profile) to help staff and members assist you more efficiently;

What can I do to speed up my machine? Do I just need more RAM?

Tidy up the HDD, we will help you with this a.s.a.p and yes add more Ram, to find the best recommended Ram details use the (free) Crucial system scanner tool @ http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true there is no need to make a purchase simply write down the details and then shop around for the best deal.
Couple of questions for you 1: How much available free storage space is available on your HDD 2: What AV software are you using AVG, Avast, Norton etc 3: When if ever was the inside of your PC case cleaned out of heat trapping dust? (over heating may cause also freezes).

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have attached a screenshot of my HDD's...I think lol, is that what you meant?

How would I go about tidying it up? I already do disk cleanup and defrag.

I did the scan and will consider buying more RAM, now that I know what type to buy. Thank you for that. My bf tried putting his RAM in but it was not compatible.

And yes sometimes the CPU usage does that when I have a lot going on, but other times it does that unexpectedly.

To answer your questions:
1. See pic
2. Avast--seems to have no viruses or anything like that
3. Not too long ago but I will clean it again right now. My fan is extremely loud normally, so it's hard to tell.

Thanks again :]

Attached Thumbnails

• hdd space.jpg

Edited by janedoe1, 04 June 2011 - 01:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

How would I go about tidying it up? I already do disk cleanup and defrag.

Download and run autoruns from http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
Then download and run TFC by OldTimer from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 if your PC doesn`t auto boot on completion do it manually.
It is good that you clean and defrag your HDD on a regular basis.

1. See pic

No pic attached, did you select the browse tab and then the Attach this File tab ?

2. Avast--seems to have no viruses or anything like that

This is another good point.

3. Not too long ago but I will clean it again right now. My fan is extremely loud normally, so it's hard to tell.

A noisy fan is not a good sign as it may not be cooling the system adequately and fail at any time.
Download and run Speedfan from http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot so that we can check your readings.
Click PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...
Just wanted to add that all downloads can be uninstalled when you have finished with them but Speedfan is a handy one to keep.

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

No pic attached, did you select the browse tab and then the Attach this File tab ?

I edited it a minute after posting and attached...it should be there now.

I have just cleaned out the fans I could get to and the CPU thoroughly, but now I will do the things you have suggested and get back to you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I edited it a minute after posting and attached...it should be there now.

Yes I spotted that as soon as I hit the add reply tab :) The HDD space looks ok by the way.
Ok, I will look out for your update.

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have attached the Speedfan result. (It was tricky finding the right download! I downloaded that top thing first, the driver thing...they hid the speedfan downloader cleverly. My avast caught the thing I downloaded at first though, so I think it's ok.)

Anyway, fan is somewhat quieter now that Ive cleaned it.

Still working on doing that other stuff you said.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG

Edited by janedoe1, 04 June 2011 - 04:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Speedfan readings look ok but keep an eye on the CPU temp to make sure its temp drop on a regular basis,
you can also increase the fan speeds slightly to bring the temps down further, heres a link to a useful
guide on how to use Speedfan I hope it helps http://forum-en.msi....?topic=109858.0
This just leaves upgrading the Ram, be sure to blow out any dust that may be in the slots before slotting
in the new sticks.

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I'm playing around with the speeds now that I've figured it out...pretty cool haha. My temp remains high unless I put the fans almost to 100%...should I do that? It's really loud if I do. Or do some computers just naturally run at a higher temp due to the type and location?

Thanks again, I will look into that RAM. Oh and about that...I keep getting conflicting answers of which RAM. The program you gave said PC2700 or 3200, but some just say 2700. How do I know which is right?

Thanks for all of your help, you are great! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Has the fan always been noisy or is it getting louder? If it is it should be replaced a.s.a.p. as the bearings may be about to fail.
Cleaning out the heat-sink that sits above the CPU and below the CPU fan should also be checked out, can you let us know whether you have the round or square shaped heat-sink and fan so that I can provide the appropriate info for you.
In answer to your Ram question, both PC2700 and PC3200 will work and there is only a slight difference in performance but the type of memory you have in there now needs to be taken into consideration, if it is PC2700 then go with adding 2 X 1GB sticks of the same spec and you will then have 2.5GB of Ram all running at the same speed, if you added 2GB of PC3200 with a present PC2700 stick then the PC3200 will slow down to the same speed as the PC2700 meaning you may have spent more for less, if that makes sense.
So to summarise PC3200 would be an appropriate upgrade if the FSB of your CPU is 800MHz but stick with PC2700 if the FSB of your CPU is only 533MHZ.

janedoe1

janedoe1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Always been noisy, since day one.

Yeah I saw that but was afraid to do anything to it...it's square, if I understand which part you mean lol.

Ah ok, that makes sense then.

Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
This video will give you an idea why your CPU is getting so hot, it is a straight forward task to do this clean up and normally will only require the removal of 4 screws.