Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

genuine windows xp

• Please log in to reply

courtesycall

courtesycall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi,

i badly needed your help.

i bought a second hand toshiba dynabook with a pre- installed windows xp os from my female classmate. the initial username was that of the original owner. when i added my name in the user name, that's where the trouble started. a window would always appear telling me that the windows xp home edition i am using is not genuine. i tried to correct the error by following the directions in that advisory and "re-entered/ re- installed" the product key (the microsoft sticker found underneath the laptop) but to no avail.

please tell me what i should do. thank you very much. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a factory restore to bring the system back to factory settings and that should allow you to activate under your name. The other option is to contact Toshiba and see about purchasing a original set of recovery disks.