Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System freezes randomly and need to kill power

• Please log in to reply

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So I made another post about this. But I think its time for me to start a new topic.

What happened is I lost my INTEL D865PERL motherboard. I was listening to music and it made this horrible sound and it froze. It wouldn't boot back up after that. Not even after pulling everything except video and clearing the CMOS.

I bought a new Abit VT7 motherboard and put everything back in but this one is having problems too. Sometimes it will bot, other times it will freeze at POST, and sometimes it will only turn on but I get no display. I have pulled everything out, swapped the video card and ram from a system that is working, and I have checked the temps on the CPU. I've also swapped all the IDE cables and the power supply. And I flashed the bios with the same version to eliminate any possibility that the BIOS may be corrupted. Everything says it should work but it doesn't.

When it does work it will go into windows fine and I can just let it sit there. In fact I let it sit there overnight. I came back in the morning and jiggled the mouse and it was still working. So I fired up a program, it really doesn't matter which, and it freezes again. When it freezes I hold the power button down for 5 seconds, wait 30 seconds after it shuts down, and turn it back on again. The computer will turn on but it never posts. The screen never even turns on. I have to kill the main switch on the power supply and wait a few seconds and turn the main power back on before it will boot again. Thie behaivor also occurs when I use a Linux Live CD and boot into Knoppix leaving the hard drives disconnected.

So I am at my wits end and close to throwing this machine out the window because I really don't know whats wrong. I am hoping someone here may have some insight, something else to try, or just know the answer to my woes.

I forgot to mention that the Event logger doesn't show anything when I do get back in.

Edited by Alopeke, 30 May 2005 - 10:10 AM.

Advertisements