Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Zaclott

Zaclott

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My Acer Aspire specs:

Screen size - 18.4 in - 1920 x 1080
Processor - Intel Core i5 - 2530 MHz
RAM - 4096 Mb
Hard Drive - 500 GB
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium
Optical Drive - Blu-Ray DVD Combo
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 5650
Webcam - Y

Every time i open a game that i install like WoW or Rift or Starcraft II It tells me that my graphics card driver is not up to date, i have been scouting around the internet to find the update, I've been on the ATM and Acer website to find the update but it seems that it is up to date!
So why is it telling me its not?

Also with my spec would raising the RAM to 12gb increase my gaming performance?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Zaclott :)
Have you checked in the Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs?
What versions of drivers, DX and CCC do you presently have installed?

Zaclott

Zaclott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im not good at computer things... Whats CCC and DX, is DX is DirectX then i have DirectX11

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
DX11 is correct, CCC is Catalyst Control Centre a feature within the ATI software, check for updates and guidance @
http://www.amd.com/u...s/catalyst.aspx

EDIT: The latest CCC drivers for your card http://support.amd.c..._win7-64.aspx#1
Take the time to read the release notes.

Edited by phillpower2, 05 June 2011 - 07:15 AM.

Zaclott

Zaclott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when i think i find the right driver for ccc it always says "incompatible due to hardware/software"?
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The highlighted text below may be the reason why it is not working but I cannot say for sure!
The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:
•Any notebook launched after this driver release
•Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel® chipsets.
•Toshiba® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
•Sony® VAIO® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
• Panasonic® notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
I will have a look and see whether Intel or Acer offer a solution to this and come back to you.

Zaclott

Zaclott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What is switchable graphics? :) Isnt that when you have 2 graphics cards? And i do have intel chipset

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
It seems this is a common problem with not just Intel and Acer it also includes the likes of HP and others.
Read this thread all the way through and see what this guy tried http://forum.noteboo...acer-5820g.html

What is switchable graphics? Isnt that when you have 2 graphics cards? And i do have intel chipset

It is when the MB has an add on video chip as well as an integrated video chip, I am only aware of these on laptops and all in one computers, basically they are a chip and not a card like the full size PCI-E type.