Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compact persario keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Roye

Roye

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have Compaq Presario CQ5600F Desktop PC, it shuts down while I am using it, won't start again with out unplugging power supply. And some times that don't work eather, I have to let it set for a while then it starts up fine and runs for a long time, hours or days which ever it wants to. The Hp techs tell me that it is the operating system and want me to back up all my files and then they want to wipe the system and restore it. These guys are reading every thing from there computer screens and I find it hard to beleave that the operating system is causing the problems. Does any one know what the problem might be and if so a solution to the problem. Thanks

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
What do they mean by "the operating system"? ... your version of Windows, bad hard drive, over heating, etc?

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
You know what it might actually be your Operating system (Windows) because my cousins computer was doing something similar to that all it would do is makes noises.
I would have to let it sit for a couple of hours before windows would start up again.

I restored the system using the built in system restore which was almost like mission impossible but I got it to work.

If its not that then it might be your Hard Drive thats gone to waste.

I would recommend you try to re-install windows first and if that doesn't work then it might be your Hard Drive.

Roye

Roye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and its listed as non recoverable.

Roye

Roye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Would a bad hard drive cause the power not to come on after it shuts down.

Note when I got computer I had to call HP tech to get computer to even power up, there was no power then.

Edited by Roye, 05 June 2011 - 04:31 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if you can run PassMark (it's free for personal use) and test the hard drive http://www.passmark....diskcheckup.htm

Have you checked the memory?
HP Compaq Presario CQ5600F.....Power: 250 Watt <--- might have gone bad

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You might be interested in the review here http://compreviews.a...rio-CQ5600f.htm

Roye

Roye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The check didn't work on my computer how do you the power supply?

Roye

Roye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I see by the ratings site that I bought a cheap peace of junk. but luckily have a 500 watt power supply in old computer, hope it work there.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Please let us know. My PSU is Rocketfish 700 W, not that great, but it's much better than a 250 W.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Remember that any time you add new hardware to your existing computer, you will need to re-activate your License/key in order to validate your copy of Windows. :)
http://www.sevenforu...ws-7-phone.html