Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound using browsers

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sorry it is the same..
Something is not activated within the browsers then to allow animation and audio.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It's ok just thought it sounded familiar but i did post the results to that test after I first did it, would had been my 2nd post in this tread. Here is the link to the PCPitstop results. http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=24409254

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I noticed you have Windows Live One Care on your system. That product is no longer supported since March 2010 and since you have MSE it would be a good ideal to uninstall One Care.
I can see no problem with your sound other then in your browsers and the most logical resolution is one of the below.

Download no_sound_in_browsers.reg file to your desktop.
Double click on it, and allow registry merge.
Restart computer.

How To Fix:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regedit to open the Registry Editor
  • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • Now right-click on the heading Drivers32 and select NEW-->STRING VALUE.
  • Call this new String Value wavemapper.
  • Now double-click the wavemapper entry you just created and for the VALUE field, type in msacm32.drv and click OK.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try watching a video on youtube again.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have done both steps and it was not successful. The second because there is already a string value named wavemapper and in its value field its msacm32.drv. Should I just delete that entry and make a new one? Also there is a file msacm32.drv in the System32 folder

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Should I just delete that entry and make a new one? Also there is a file msacm32.drv in the System32 folder

Before doing that lets try a experiment.
Take the browser you use for lets say games.
Download the newest version and install it into a different folder. DO NOT let it install in the default folder.
Try the new one and let me know if the issue still is happening then. You will be running a new installation with no addons or extensions so everything should be native.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly because when I begin the install process it doesn't give me an option to change the location. I'm trying with Chrome. First I tried while Chrome was installed and then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still didn't give me an option for location.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a Chrome Icon on your desktop now or two in your quick start bar at the bottom left of your desktop?

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I only had one Icon on my desktop. I found this while trying to research. I followed the steps for the Windows 7 64bit as thats what I'm running on and when I got to the Drivers32 there was nothing present in the folder. So I attemped to make a new string wavemapper but it said I couldn't cause there was already one named wavemapper in the folder. Can the strings be hidden? Also I decided to check in the new user account which the audio works in the browsers and on my brothers laptop which he has a HP and is running the same Windows 7 64bit when I went to Drivers32 both had many entries in the folder including wavemapper. Can this be the reason I'm not getting the audio in the browers or can it be a permissions issue?

Hope all that made sense

I wanted to say thanks to the Admins for their effort to help those of us who have experienced this frustrating problem. I have a few more fixes and how they apply to Vista and 7 64bit.

Check if the file msacm32.drv is present in your Windows system32 folder. If not, copy it from another PC (that has the same version of Windows) and place the file in the system32 folder. This applies to Vista and 7 64Bit but in the SysWOW64 directory which is the folder for the 32 bit programs running on the 32bit virtual machine.

A very common sound problem is an incorrect or missing registry key for msacm32.drv discussed in the preceding.

1.Launch Registry Editor by typing regedit at Run command.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:

For XP and Vista 32Bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

3. On the right pane, and check for existence of “wavemapper” registry subkey, the mail culprit
causing Flash no sound. If not found, create a new String value named “wavemapper”, and give the
entry value “msacm32.drv”. If wavemapper entry is already existed, ensure that its value data
is“msacm32.drv”.

For XP and Vista and 7 64bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

4. On the right pane, and check for existence of “wavemapper” registry subkey, the mail culprit
causing Flash no sound. If not found, create a new String
value named “wavemapper”, and give the entry value “msacm32.drv”.
If wavemapper entry is already existed, ensure that its value data is “msacm32.drv”.

5. In addition the permissions/security on these keys can prevent your browser flash plugin from
accessing them and preventing sound. Also if you receive errors editing or the key is blank you
need to check the permissions by right clicking on the key and choosing permissions. Choose
Advanced and make sure that the Administrators, System, Users Groups have “Full Control” under
permissions if not select them and click Edit and tick “Full Control” under the “Allow” column.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here are pics of what I tried to explain hope this helps.

Primary User Account which sound does not work in browsers. http://www.enteruplo...pture2.jpg.html

New User Account which sound works in browsers. http://www.enteruplo...apture.jpg.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I followed the steps for the Windows 7 64bit as thats what I'm running on and when I got to the Drivers32 there was nothing present in the folder. So I attemped to make a new string wavemapper but it said I couldn't cause there was already one named wavemapper in the folder. Can the strings be hidden? Also I decided to check in the new user account which the audio works in the browsers and on my brothers laptop which he has a HP and is running the same Windows 7 64bit when I went to Drivers32 both had many entries in the folder including wavemapper. Can this be the reason I'm not getting the audio in the browers or can it be a permissions issue?

I think you have found the problem.
What you could do is try copying that whole Drivers32 folder on to a flash drive and copying them to your drivers32 folder on your system.

Advertisements

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok. Before I try to do this do you want me to place all the files in the current drivers32 folder or delete the folder and place the new one in the CurrentVersion folder?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to you in post 38:

I followed the steps for the Windows 7 64bit as thats what I'm running on and when I got to the Drivers32 there was nothing present in the folder.

If nothing in it then just try copying what is in the other folder into the folder on your system. Be aware there may be some drivers that will need to be replaced if the systems are not the same.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I am a bit confuse on how to copy the files in the folder as I have no options to copy only thing that is similar is Import and Export. Which I right click on the Drivers32 folder and select Export and save the file on flashdrive. From there I go to the Registry Editor and Import the file but nothing appears in the folder. Also when I attempt to create a new string to the folder like wavemapper, midi, midi1, or any that would be in the folder. I get a message saying "The Registry Editor cannot rename New Value #1. The specified value name already exists. Type another name and try again." It seems like the strings in the Drivers32 folder are hidden and this happen before I ever did the Import.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open the folder.
Then go to top of window and click on Edit
Now click on Select All
Now go back to Edit and click Copy
Now click on your Flash drive in the left window and in the right window right click and click Paste
Now all files in the original folder should be copied to your flash drive.
Now go to your system and open the Drivers32 folder and in the right window right click and now click Paste
Does it work now. :)

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No doesnt work. There is no Select All or Copy options in the Edit menu.