Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound using browsers

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm confused I thought we were talking about a folder and not a registry entry.

Advertisements

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry about that I was talking about a registry folder. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 which shows nothing in it but when trying to add a new string like wavemapper or anything that belongs in there I get the error message "The Registry Editor cannot rename New Value #1. The specified value name already exists. Type another name and try again."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest making a backup of your Registry first using Erunt.
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set,
including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, There are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files.
The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

Now delete the key in question and create a new key per the previous instructions. You now should not get the error message when creating it.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I understand the step but the problem is there are no keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 thee folder is empty. So I can't delete anything but at the same time cannot create a new key that belongs in there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
But it says the key already exist when you try to manually enter it.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes that is what's happening

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have tried that step and I do get a message saying some files could not be fix.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then a repair installation or Parallel installation is the options left to try.
OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok. I can't seem to find my Win7 Installation dvd disc but was able to find my brothers. We both received a Win7 installation dvd from HP to upgrade our laptops from Vista to Win7 Home Premium 64bit. Would I be able to use his dvd?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IF it is a upgrade disk then nope it won't work for a repair.

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here are pics of the two discs. Would it work?

Attached Thumbnails

• Los Angeles-20110615-00005.jpg
  • Los Angeles-20110615-00006.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you will need to borrow a Win7 of the same version you have installed.
Home, Media or Pro.... 32 or 64 bit

josh33

josh33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't know of anyone having a Win7 Home Premium 64bit. Is there another route?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope we have exhausted all other routes so it has to be the OS at this point.