Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Problem with Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Triskelion

Triskelion

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Hey guys;

Mailprog asked me to start a new topic over here after he was able to help me with a laptop problem.

With his help it is operating a lot better now, but still lags and takes too much time to perform.

He asked me to link back to our topic as reference so I am providing it below, but as he says in his last post, he thinks I should turn it over to you guys now.

http://www.geekstogo...15#entry2021071

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The C: drive may need defragmenting. When fragmentation occurs over time, files get scattered all over the drive platters instead of being in a continuous block. This means it takes longer for the drive to find and access those files when it needs to perform a particular operation or open a program. Make sure the Recycle Bin is empty, then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.
Select the C: drive and click "Defragment".

It may take some time if it hasn't been done for several weeks and the drive contains a lot of data.

Triskelion

Triskelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Actually, I have just done a defrag on the weekend.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.