Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstall or Repair XP?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as that is why I am here and I know Happyrock can answer just about any question about Puppy you may have.

Advertisements

CombatTaiChi

CombatTaiChi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I've been running Puppy Linux and have had trouble with stability issues.

I installed Firefox 4 from PL's pop-up/dialog/wizard (sorry, don't know what their correct names are). I ran it and it just shut itself off/disappeared.

I rebooted. I opened FF again and it reported, "Well, this is embarrassing..." and asks you to check/uncheck tabs you want opened. It opened fine.

Long story short, it did that same scenario several times.

I thought it might be because FF v4 is unstable or is conflicting with something in PL. So, I installed FF v3.6x.

Same issues.

I ran native PL programs and had some similar malfunctions.

Since PL runs (mostly?) in memory (I guess there's got to be some sort of disc caching going on) I thought I might have bad RAM, so I ran MS's memory diagnostics. I ran it for several hours (100 passes) with zero errors.

I used ImgBurn for the ISO, and it reported a clean burn with zero errors.

I think all I need right now is PL to run a browser stably. And, perhaps, some sort of a database to organize information...what I use in Windows is KeyNote. But that's not even an absolute because I use Google Notebook and , of course, that's accessed via a browser.

So, I think I can do all my necessities with a browser.

What do you guys think is the most likely cause(s) of the stability issues?

Should I download PL from another source and burn a copy? Is it likely the one I've got is corrupt? Can I check that somehow?

Also, since PL uses ancillary programs and since they can't be saved to and run from the CD they have to be on the HDD. So, I'm running a program called SpinRite that checks for errors on disc's surface attempting to see if FF got corrupted (my guess is that you both know this program much better than I do).

Do you guys think my logic is correct?

Is there something more efficient, more productive I can do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange because in my Linux I'm using FF with no problem. I'm not using Puppy but instead I'm using Mandriva 64 bit.
Did you by chance check in the system update area of Puppy to see if there was a newer version or if you are running the correct version?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

since PL uses ancillary programs and since they can't be saved to and run from the CD

not true...
when you go to shut down it will ask if you want to save your work...say yes and select the cd as a place to save it...
it acts like burning a multi-session cd...if when you get to where the cd is full it will tell you to put in a blank cd and it will then write to the new cd and you put up the old cd and start using the new one to boot from...if you burn puppy to a dvd instead of a cd it will last way longer...it will save both programs and data...
try using seamonkey as your browser...
if you are having stability issues its probably a hardware issue...like ram or chipset (controller issue)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Just a side note. Previously you indicated you use Winpatrol. It is a great program for monitoring startup groups. I use it on my computers but I noticed that when the icon shows it is scanning in the background the system bogs down. Since you opnly have 256mb of ram you might want to disable it for a while.

CombatTaiChi

CombatTaiChi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

...when you go to shut down it will ask if you want to save your work...say yes and select the cd as a place to save it...

Thanks, happyrock!

Not sure what kept happening. For whatever reason when I shut down and asked it to save, it just hung-up. I tried saving to the CD a couple of times and it failed and then to the HDD without success. It seems to be working using a USB thumb drive.

...if you are having stability issues its probably a hardware issue...like ram or chipset (controller issue)

Okay. I ran quickpet (I think that's the correct name) and updated the drivers. PL is certainly more stable now. Firefox is not just randomly disappearing anymore (fingers crossed).

Oh and, rshaffer61, I looked through the System menu (and elsewhere) but I'm not sure where to find the update area. It is v5.2.5 though. I'll read through more of Puppy's FAQ's, etc. and, hopefully, get a little more up to speed. I came pretty close to just dumping PL but if it keep functioning like it has for the last few hours it should workout okay...thanks!

And thanks for the input, 123Runner, it's appreciated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In Mandriva it a Icon down on the left side where the Start button normally is.
It is named Update System

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I played with puppy a little more this morning...if you use a dvd instead of a cd it will automatically save your installed programs and data...
NOTE...if you let it write a small ext3 file to the hard drive PL will boot in about 20 seconds and windows won't even see it (the ext file)