Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCP Problem

• Please log in to reply

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here's a tough one. I'm working on this PC that will not pass any IP traffic but yet sends & receives pings if I use a static IP. If I use dhcp it gets the useless IP 169.*.*.*
Here's what I've done so far.
1) No System Restore points will work, the one and only ntbackup has the same issues.

2) Installed a new NIC card and that to doesn't get an IP

3) Then I copied c:\windows over to c:\windowsbk and updated the boot.ini so I could boot from the windowsbk folder.

4) I ran netsh int ip reset > C:\ip.txt then rebooted and was greeted with the same IP 169.*.*.*

5) So I reinstalled Windows XP Pro Upgrade over the \windowsbk\ and it still won't get an IP address.

6) Next I installed Windows XP Pro as a new install over to c:\NewWindows\
and it worked. I get the correct IP & pass all traffic like it should.
Now comes the really fun part, comparing \NewWindows\ to \windowsbk so that I can find the exact cause of the tcp/ip failure.
I have narrowed it down to these 6 files
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\
SAM
SecEvent.Evt
SECURITY
software
system"

7) I went into c:\windowsbk\system32\config\ and renamed them to *.bk & then went ahead and removed the *.sav from the file names so that it would use the backup copies. rebooted and had the same problem with the \windowsbk\

8) Next I went ahead & copied "C:\NewWindows\system32\config\
SAM
SecEvent.Evt
SECURITY
software
system"

over to "C:\windowsbk\system32\config\
SAM
SecEvent.Evt
SECURITY
software
system"

Rebooted and it fixed the \windowsbk\ so now it gets an ip like it should. Of course all my setting & programs are gone from the reg.
Now can anyone recommend a way to fix theses files in the c:\windows\system32\config\ while keeping all the programs in working order? :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
scratch scratch.....

so, just so we're clear here....can you get back to the old failed windows install?

Joe2000

Joe2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

scratch scratch.....

so, just so we're clear here....can you get back to the old failed windows install?

View Post

Yes... I haven't made any changes to the OS on \windows\
except for steps 1&2

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you try a progrma like winsockxp fix?
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

is this windows xp sp1 or sp2?

Joe2000

Joe2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Did you try a progrma like winsockxp fix?
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

is this windows xp sp1 or sp2?

View Post

I didn't try that because I didn't have any missing or corrupt files, any how I just tried it and it did NOT work. Still having the same problem with SP2.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hey Joe,

Have you tried getting a capture/dump file of the traffic being produced by the client machine to see what exactly it is requesting/receiving so maybe you can narrow down the search of exactly what parameters are getting bungled? If not, I would suggest:
> Using a test machine with a hub connected to the same section of network as client computer.
> Install Ethereal and WinPcap on the test machine.
> Start a capture using Ethereal.
> Boot the client machine and let it do it's thing.
> When it's finished, stop the capture, and save it.
*Then, if you need a hand with the file produced, post it here and I will help you take a look at it. You could even do a file booting with the successful one to show what it should be requesting/receiving (Even though it should be mostly standard). This would allow us to see where the request/reply is starting, stopping, etc.

Greazy Mcgeezy

*Please include an actual file that can be loaded and filtered

Joe2000

Joe2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hey Joe,

Have you tried getting a capture/dump file of the traffic being produced by the client machine to see what exactly it is requesting/receiving so maybe you can narrow down the search of exactly what parameters are getting bungled?  If not, I would suggest:
> Using a test machine with a hub connected to the same section of network as client computer.
> Install Ethereal and WinPcap on the test machine.
> Start a capture using Ethereal.
> Boot the client machine and let it do it's thing.
> When it's finished, stop the capture, and save it.
*Then, if you need a hand with the file produced, post it here and I will help you take a look at it.  You could even do a file booting with the successful one to show what it should be requesting/receiving (Even though it should be mostly standard).  This would allow us to see where the request/reply is starting, stopping, etc.

Greazy Mcgeezy

*Please include an actual file that can be loaded and filtered

View Post

I sure did & my capture log was 100% blank because there was no active/open sockets. Anyhow I gave up trying to find what caused it. I ended up formating the drive did a clean install of XP pro then reinstalled all there programs then copied all there programs & setting from the backup drive and everything is good to go.

Thanks for all your :tazz: anyways