Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo mail Secret answer error (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply

Guardian*Angel

Guardian*Angel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well I recently been concern for the past few days as I have been getting an error message doing a password recovery (secret question) although, everything (such as password had changed) went fine due to me changing it by e-mail however the error that I got trying to do it in secret question scares me.

The error that I got states:

We're sorry that you cannot access the alternate email address or mobile number you provided for your account. Would you like to try another email address or mobile number?

Please return on June 07, 2011, after 19:22 EDT, when you will be able to reset your password by answering the secret question you chose for your account. Why must I wait?

I click why must I wait and I realize I had to wait due to me not accessing my mail account in a long time states here:

You haven't accessed your account in some time

If it's the latter, you will be asked to wait 24 hours before you can attempt to recover your account using your secret questions.

The Problem....I access this account almost every day sometimes twice a day or more. So I figured OK I will wait until 24 hours is up I waited a day or two just to test it and it stills gives me the error. I also got a message stating:

For security reasons, the option to reset your password via secret question will expire on June 13, 2011, at 07:22 pm EDT.

I do not why this is so...then today after 4 days or so I did a test again and the same things appears.

Therefore, I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem besides me or is something wrong on my end?

Thank you,
Guardian Angel

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi Guardian*Angel!

I think your best is to contact Yahoo Custom Care and see what they have to say about this. I also think that you should take a look at this link here; http://help.yahoo.co...vYJBcYU1QeNkiN4

Hope this helps,
SweetTech.

Wait, I need some clarification here. Did you receive the above in an e-mail in the e-mail account you are trying to log into?

Edited by SweetTech, 06 June 2011 - 06:08 PM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Guardian Angel,

Please see my previous post, I edited it to get clarification from you.

Guardian*Angel

Guardian*Angel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes as well as my alternative account which I used to change my password (since I knew the secret question) didn't work I choose my alternative e-mail which did worked.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm thinking that this is a scam in an attempt to get your passwords/secret question answers/other information.

Please see this link; http://help.yahoo.co.../manage-70.html

Guardian*Angel

Guardian*Angel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much SweetTech maybe this could be it...even though I did do the password recovery (in the official yahoo website) and this appears. I read what you post as well as yahoo security e-mail How can I recognize a phishing email? and this count my eye...I did not click the link in the e-mail however from the first time to now and I am glad I did.

The reason why I think it's a scam/phishing e-mail:

Unofficial "From" address...address which is real @yahoo-inc.com (the one I got - @cc.yahoo-inc.com) and in the message it says:

Not you? Simply sign in to your account, and when there is an attempt to recover your account, we will continue to hide your option to reset your password via your secret question. Please update you password-reset info. If you forget your password in the future, we will use this information to help you reset it.

If you believe your account has been compromised, please change your password now. Choose a strong password.

Therefore, in your opinion do you think this is a scam e-mail?

Edited by Guardian*Angel, 06 June 2011 - 08:03 PM.