Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems Setting The Date/Time

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm having problems setting the time on my computer. I know how, that's not the problem. Every time I turn it on (except for restarting) it will have January 1, 2002 as its date/time. Occasionally, it has had such bizarre times as Friday, April 21, 2090! Or 2063. Neither I nor anyone in my family has messed with setting the time, except to set it to the current date. Why is it doing this? It will hold the date/time I enter as long as it is on, put on standby, or restarted. But if turned off for more than a few minutes, it goes to an odd date. Why is it doing this?! Thanks for your help! :)
Background info: It was an old computer that had had a serious virus when given to me. The damage was so bad the hard drive had to be replaced. I had a friend do that, and he copied everything from my old computer to this "new" one. It's worked fine, except for the time problems.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Just a guess here but perhaps your motherboard battery has drained. Do you know how to go into the BIOS? If so, go in there and take note of the date and set it to the current date/time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cmos battery is low. Replace and then you will need to go into the bios to reset the correct time and date. Save and then exit and your issue should be resolved short of a OS issue.

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks! both of you. :unsure: Does the Cmos recharge itself (to some extent) with use, like a car battery, because the computer went unused for years before I got it.
How do I get into the bios? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it will not and sometimes they just die. If it sat for that long then it doesn't surprise me it is loosing time.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

How do I get into the bios? :)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The cmos battery is usually a coin type about the size of a quarter and is a CR2032 purchased at pretty much any store.

How to replace the cmos battery

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CMOS battery

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks all of you for the info, link and photo! You've been a great help! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how it works once you replace the battery and reset the date and time in the bios.