Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Befuddling Video Card Issue

• Please log in to reply

Sky115

Sky115

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright I have a strange thing happening. Gonna take some storytelling so thanks in advance for reading...

A couple weeks ago one of my video cards seems to have died. I had dual NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS cards (no fancy manufacturer, these came with my Dell computer), and when I restarted my computer one time, my monitor suddenly would not get a signal. It was plugged into one of the card's DVI-I ports and I had to move it to the other card's port to get it to work, and then only one card was showing up in my dxdiag and hardware manager so I assume the other is dead. Lets say the card that died was "card A" and the one that lives on is "card B". So I had to switch my monitors from card A to card B to get anything to show up.

Now, I've bought a used NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS from some guy on eBay, we'll call this "card C". So i popped open my case and replaced dead card A with card C, and SLI-bridged it with card B. I turn on my computer with my monitor still plugged into card B and it gets no signal. I guess maybe there is a priority for the slot that card C is in if there's a functional card there, so i plug my monitor into card C, and my monitor works, but my computer seems to not be recognizing either card! dxdiag says nothing under the display tab. I've got no NVIDIA control panel and none of my games work. One of the video cards is listed in the hardware manager but it clearly isn't being used (i was able to play all my games between card A's death and obtaining card C).

PCU-Z doesn't recognize any video cards

PCWizard 2010 says that there are 2 cards but under the information it lsits:

General Information :
GPU #1 : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (256 MB)

GPU Information #1 :
Processor : G84
Revision : A2
Bus : 128-bit
GPU Frequency : 675 MHz - [initial : 675 MHz]
Shader Clock : 1458 MHz - [initial : 1450 MHz]
Memory Frequency GPU : 1008 MHz - [initial : 1008 MHz]

GPU Information #2 :
Processor : G84
Revision : A2
Bus : 256-bit
Memory Frequency GPU : 1008 MHz - [initial : 1008 MHz]

Any ideas? I'm very confused.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Sky115

Sky115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well... it would seem that downloading the newest drivers made all parties happy (except card A, he's still dead). I would have tried that first but it seemed like the issue was beyond just needing drivers, partly because card B was working fine the last few days without the drivers released on june 1.

Anyway sorry to bother you all, problem solved, thread can be closed or whatever. :)