Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATI or NVIDIA

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hey guys,

I'm at a stand still... I have always gone with ATI, had 1 bad card, one really great card. All I've heard is how NVIDIA is really great.

The cards I've been looking at are the HD6970 and the HD6990 (if it goes down in price by October). In addition I've heard good things about the NVIDIA GTX570 and GTX580. (potential for 590 if the price goes down)

What I"m wondering is what would be a good choice for performance and price.

If I go with an HD6970 I would look into crossfire in the future. The same goes with the GTX570 I would look to do SLI. That is another consideration I want to look into. Which is better in performance and compatibility.

Lgaming for SC2, crysis, crysis 2, Battle field Bad company 2, BF3 when it comes out, and games in the future on max settings. Also I am a video and graphics editor working with CS5

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
HD6970

Full review with comparisons.
http://www.bit-tech....d-6970-review/9

I have always gone with ATI,

As a separate brand does not exist, taken over by AMD - Advanced Micro Devices in 2006.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks for the info.

My final question is: If I were to go with the AMD :) HD6990, would I be able to upgrade to the card without a new power supply? I have an Black Edition XFX 750W MODEL: XPS-750W-BES

Here are the sticker specs:
AC INPUT: 100-240VAC, 10-5A, 50/60Hz

DC OUTPUT: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
24A 30A 62A 0.8A 3A
150W Max 744W 9.6W 15W
750Watts

Can you explain what all this means, or tell me what are the important parts?

The rest of my system is in my signature running at standard clocks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
That is a more than capable PSU.
PSU outputs are rather difficult to explain, Digerati for me has the best take on them but what I can safely say is that as long as all rails have good clean, stable and adequate power then no issues should occur.
Where GFX cards are concerned the +12V rail is very important as GFX cards can be very power hungry, your PSU has 62A on the +12V rail so you have no concerns there.

GhostToast

GhostToast

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hello! I don't think a new power supply would be a bad idea if you were going to Xfire two 6990s. If you look over what AMD recommends for that card, a PSU rated for 750W is the minimum recommendation for only one 6990 and they go on to state that a PSU rated for 1000W is the minimum recommendation for two in CrossfireX. Here is a link to AMD's system requirements page for the 6990.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Ghost thanks for your reply along with phill. I'm glad to hear my psu will be enough for a hd6990. I'm not planning on running Xfire until I need to. I feel and hope with a hd6990 it won't be for a long time. I also hope that they don't change directX11 really quick like they did from DirectX10 to DirectX11. DirectX was the standard for so long an it would suck to spend so much on a card to find out you have to get another one the next year to be current.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
You are welcome strikermed :)
I totally agree with you and I hope you only change your set up when you want to and not because you have to.

GhostToast

GhostToast

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
You're welcome! :)