Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1606 %APPDATA% java & adobe_reader

• Please log in to reply

eundv

eundv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi gorham,

Glad you’re back online.

I’d rerun the Microsoft fixit. Will it create a log file? Will log record exceptions? Like maybe why it didn’t work. But what folder will log be in? By what name will log be known?

Regards,
erika

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I don't see where it would leave a log anywhere. Looks like Microsoft came out with this also:

http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

This will scan your computer for errors and fix them for you. I would try both fixit (1 at a time and then try installing java -if it doesn't work try the other fixit) and then try reinstalling java.

If that doesn't work and since no one else chimed into the thread I'm wondering if you should join and post a thread on Java's site?

http://forums.oracle...spa?forumID=937

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hey I just found this post :

The response to "Echo %appadata%" should be

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming

A space in the user name shouldn't be a problem, but creating a new user may fix the problem because it will create the account with default registry settings which will hopefully have the missing %appdata% information.

If you want to check on this before creating the new user, just for curiosity's sake, check the following Registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and check the value for AppData in the right hand pane. If it's missing, then that would explain the problem. It should be as listed above, substituting the UserName with the folder name for the user under Users.

Also check the key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

The value of this key should be
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

More keys to check:
HKCU\Volatile Environement (1)
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
HKU\Sxxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
HKU\Sxxxxx\Volatile Environement (1)

The values in (1) should have the full path spelled out, the values in (2) should use the %USERPROFILE% variable in the path. If the value under HKU\.DEFAULT is missing or bad, then creating a new user probably won't work either. If that value is missing, then I would recommend a clean reinstall of Windows because there is no telling what else is messed up also.

==============
From this webiste: http://forums.techar...ems/1127524.htm

seems logical. Try creating another administrator profile and see if you can install Java under your new profile.

Edited by gorham, 21 June 2011 - 11:43 AM.

eundv

eundv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi gorham,
I'm working on your suggestions. Hope to reply with results soon.
regards,
erika

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
ok good luck :)

Boltskull

Boltskull

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I had this too you should go see Essexboy about it he is helping me with it at the moment. The problem is Adobe got hacked and a virus was put in the program within the hacking time. If anyone downloaded or updated anything by Adobe they got the virus. They have fixed it now but have not helped the infected people