Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install WinXP, loads, reboots loads...

• Please log in to reply

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, if someone has some knowledge to share, i could use it. ;)

Here's The scoop, just set up a new computer, acutally two of them, which are basically the same setup except for sound card and grahips.

After putting first comp together, loaded winxp (sp2). No problem. Grabbed the BIOS updates and.... bam, trouble begins. I could not get the "new" BIOS update to take hold. Contaced manf. he says "sometimes it doesnt work" ;) Now why on earth would you release a BIOS if it dosent work right? I had to get the one step older version. I tried to load that and this is the message it get:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device"

Now the first computer after many retries of the BIOS update, and reformatting and reinstalling windows, one day it took hold. Win reloaed and everthing seems to be functioning normally. So thinking I "found the way" to fix or workaround problem, I did the same sequence on the 2nd computer.

But this one does not want to grab the windows install. After i put the install cd in the comp, it loads all of the first round of the install, when is does its first reboot, it goes right back into the first phase of install. I have redone the BIOS install multiple times, I have 4 new hard drives, moved around them on the one that is working, it did give me the message above the first round, but after the second try the windows grabbed hold on the harddrive. I then took that put back in comp that does like me, and what do it get? The same message above. I have tried the hd cable, and doesnt seem to be that. I checked the pin1, seems to be right.

FYI, i can't get no keyboard reaction until the phase in win setup where it says push F8 etc. when it reboots keyboard does not react.

So if anyone knows something that can help me i would appriciate it. Thanks for your replies and responses ahead of time :)

Intel D865PERLL Motherboard
Intel P4 3.2G 800 FSB
WinXP SP2
512 DDR Ram (even though there is 1G, but right now shows 256) :tazz:
(2) Western Digtal HD
ATI Radeon 9550 Grahics Card

Advertisements

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Did you remove the cd when you rebooted? If not try removing the cd and boot up.

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When the first phase of setup begins, it copys the files over (this is shown in a DOS like window, blue screen etc.). Then the setup needs to reboot to actually start installing windows, (this is when you see the windows graphics, and the time bar of how long till done).

If I take the CD out (after frist step in install), it says put in Bootalbe CD/Media to start setup. If i leave the CD in, it starts from the beginning of the install, like it never did the first setup step.

Right now i unhooked the CD ROM. I just have the HD hooked in (only one plugged in, the HD with the windows on it that i did on the other comp.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sounds like your bios is only setup to boot from the cd.
Go into your bios settings and check and make sure the boot settings for the first boot is HDD 0
Then save it and reboot and hopefully it picks up from there.

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks once again.

I have thought of that also, but the wall i run into is getting to the BIOS. I do see the screen where it has the intel logo (where you hit f2 to get into bios). My problem there is that the keyboard wont work, i dont get no function to tell the comp to go to BIOS. The only time the keyboard works is when the first phase of setup for windows starts, where it asks for the f keys....but can it work to get to bios, nooooo.

Any suggestions for that workaround ? Way to get keyboard to work that early ? (yes the keyboard works, typing on it. :tazz:

A thought...the keyboard is a usb, plugged into the mother boards usb. I will try to get ps2 (?) connection. One thing with this usb keyboard, is you have to push a button to switch the function of the f keys. Stupid thing if you ask me, that should be the default. Don't know if that could be a issue or not.

Edited by Nac-Thor, 30 May 2005 - 11:46 AM.

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks once again.

I have thought of that also, but the wall i run into  is getting to the BIOS.  I do see the screen where it has the intel logo (where you hit f2 to get into bios).  My problem there is that the keyboard wont work, i dont get no function to tell the comp to go to BIOS.  The only time the keyboard works is when the first phase of setup for windows starts, where it asks for the f keys....but can it work to get to bios, nooooo. 

Any suggestions for that workaround ?  Way to get keyboard to work that early ?  (yes the keyboard works, typing on it.  :tazz:

A thought...the keyboard is a usb, plugged into the mother boards usb.  I will try to get  ps2 (?) connection.  One thing with this usb keyboard, is you have to push a button to switch the function of the f keys.  Stupid thing if you ask me, that should be the default.  Don't know if that could be a issue or not.

View Post

Yep you need to get a ps2 keyboard so that you can check the boot & add support for a usb keyboard.
Have you tried using the del key instead of F2?

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
aahhh....

Makes sense, usb not supported at that time. I will get a ps2 keyboard. Unfortunatly that keyboard is at my moms, so i can't get to that until later today. I will try that and get back with you as soon as i see those results.

Thanks once again for all your help and direction.

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

Nac-Thor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Joe2000,

Hey just a update, it worked. Got in BIOS did some setting changes and bam, there she is windows looking right at me.

Thanks for your help, i really appreicate it. :tazz:

Also, i have only come across this site a few days ago, and i like it. I would recommend this to any dude or dudet that needs some computer help.