Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspicious Behaviour - Have I been hacked?

• Please log in to reply

hanseric

hanseric

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi.

New member. Love the site. Just getting my feet wet here but I have a specific issue I could use some guidance on.

My Win 7 notebook (Windows 7 Enterprise (x64) Hewlett-Packard HP G62 Notebook PC 2.13 gigahertz Intel Core i3 M 330) has been acting funny lately. Specifically:

• Gets very slow (mouse, basic functionality) and revs fan, and yet Task Manager doesn't always show > 3% CPU use on any particular process
  • When I come out of Sleep, I can't seem to get a LAN connection anymore. I have to reboot to get it to work again. This one and the one above seem to have started after I had to do a Win 7 repair using the Win 7 installation disk. This was a couple months ago.
  • Recently someone spammed my whole address book (not sure which one but I think either my Google Contacts or more likely probably, my EearthLink webmail folder for one of my email addresses--one of my older ones. Details on that were posted here.

Chief on my mind is whether my PC is somehow being used to send spam. The person who turned me on to Geeks To Go said that's what was happening with her PC. When she said that, it made me wonder if that could be the reason for the slow performance. But it may just be that I'm spooked from all that spam I somehow sent out.

Would love some input from someone. I've run some clean-up tools from this awesome site (see the other post link above for what's been done). But I could use some direction on next steps. The computer is still having the slowing issue where it mysteriously revs the fan and comes almost to a crawl. (By the way, it doesn't appear to be my anti-virus utility running, because I don't see any indication from Symantec Endpoint Protection that it is doing anything other than sitting in the system tray.

Just remembered that that Symantec product has had its "Proactive Threat Projection" disabled for lack of updates to is definitions. I've told it to get the updates about 5 times now and that doesn't seem to do anything. I'll ask our IT guy to fix that issue, but he's kind of a junior guy so I'm not sure he's going to be able to provide much assistance on these other points.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance.

Hans

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here