Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start up slow & IE taking forever

• Please log in to reply

Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi There,

I recently had an issue with Google Redirects which was kindly sorted by Essexboy. (Thanks) Although I now have a very very slow STARTUP function and IE (Internet Explorer) takes forever to open too.

I have run a de-frag (from Essexboy's last message) and Reg-Clean Pro and Microsoft asked me to update my XP package which was done recently too, so anything else you can assist me with to ease this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yvonne

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Mod,
Please see attached report from the Autoruns programme.

Do I need to DELETE the "exe" file now ?
Many thanks
Yvonne

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your Autoruns log is a mess so this is going to take me awhile to decipher it correctly.
Do not delete the Autoruns program because the next step requires it.
OK this is just to much of a mess for me to get straight.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello Mod, after a very long, slow & arduous task you set me I'm afraid that there is NO good news.
Started the Autorun with everything un-ticked and rebooted (still slow) then repeated the process selecting one programme at a time with no difference made, although I didn't try those I thought weren't needed (HP Officejet / hpoddt01 / google toolbar notifyer & a couple others).

I then put everything back to NORMAL and now it seems even slower (could just be me being frustrated at so many restarts !) But as for loading up IE....Well !!! My Hotmail account tells me I need IE 9 (if this would help I'm not sure - don't know what version I have).

I haven't run you another log from Autorun as it will look like my original as nothing was changed (in the end).

I also have a pop up (after every startup) saying "Found New Hardware" which is Multimedia Audio Controller. I find it very hard to believe that I've downloaded anything as this PC doesn't have a sound card or driver or something, so if there's also a way of getting rid of this too please ?????

I really wish you guys could log into my PC remotely as I'm sure you would have the problem fixed in no time :)) but I'll eagerly await your next instruction (if I've not lobbed it out the window by then !!) Or that you've given up on the challenge my PC has set for you !
Many thanks
Yvonne

ident

ident

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 745 posts

Hello Mod, after a very long, slow & arduous task you set me I'm afraid that there is NO good news.
Started the Autorun with everything un-ticked and rebooted (still slow)

Not jumping in here and forgive me if i miss understood you but rshaffer61 never told you to uncheck every autorun entry. He/She asked you to open MSCONFIG (start-run-msconfig)and go to the startup tab

Posted Image

Disabling every autorun could prove very problematic.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would upgrade to IE8.
Your Multimedia Audio Controller may be built onboard on the motherboard.
As far as the slowness lets try some things and see if it works.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey there Mod,

Downloaded TFC and cleaned 18.00mb then downloaded Auslogics and defragmented 1,937 files.
I also updated to IE8 which takes an absolute age to open and connect (same as my last version).

I'm definately thinking that its a Shutdown / Startup issue coz once I've waited 6 hours for everything to load, its fine !!! But still have my "found new hardware" pop up which I'd like to get rid of too, not built into Motherboard as pop up only came along a few months ago, unless my partner has downloaded something but its not in my "Add/Remove Programmes" ??.

Eagerly awaiting your next suggestion :)
Many thanks
Yvonne

Edited by Yvonne, 10 June 2011 - 10:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is that Tango patch entry in your startups?
I would double check on that because it seems to be modifying your startup files

The Super Turbo Tango Patcher is a mostly self-explanatory graphical wizard designed to make simple the process of modifying your system files with resources developed and inspired by the Tango Desktop Project. It currently includes implementations of the basic Tango icon set, the Tangerine icon set developed by the Ubuntu art team, the Industrial icon set from recent SUSE/Novell desktop Linux releases, and the Gnome icon theme, rounded out with various pieces of artwork created by myself and others. Additionally, it includes a reloader module to re-modify your files if they are overwritten, allowing system updates to be performed without breaking the theme. If you experience issues with the Patcher, please consult the included documentation.

Anytime you start modifying system files you can run into issues.

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, I know I told Essexboy that I was a novice at techno stuff but blimey that Tango talk has really gone over my head !!! :)

I have no idea what your talking about and the little quote baffled me even more !!!

Have never seen a Tangerine icon anywhere on my system, should I be looking somewhere in particular for it ???? Then presumably delete it ???

I've just had another look in msconfig and can't see anything with those words in ?

sorry, am totally confused
Thanks
Yvonne (an obvious tech bimbo)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look at post 6 and the 4th red box entry.
If you have no ideal what it is then uncheck it and then restart your system.
Let me know if any issues then get resolved.

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Now I know what your talking about but alas.........this is not my entry and not my msconfig - Ident posted this so I can only assume its his ???

My msconfig shows lots of other things but I can't seem to copy the screen like Ident has - sorry !

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I apologize and now I have everything straight again.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Now click on Startups
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem

Yvonne

Yvonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dear Mod, please forgive me but we've already run this excercise (see my post no: 5 I think) before Ident added his msconfig.

Nothing really seemed to change when ALL were unchecked and when I re-checked each one by one.

I do think its a start up problem but shutdown is really slow too.
Any other suggestions ?
Cheers
Yvonne

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OOPs :) OK then we need to look at the Services part then.

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services