Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about restoring my computer to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply

alifeoftruth

alifeoftruth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My current OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

I want to restore my computer to its factory settings, and I don't want to keep any files. I bought this computer used, and it has a large amount of old files and programs that I simply don't want to keep anymore. I'd rather start fresh so I know what is (and is not) on my computer. I guess I'm just not really sure what kinds of things I would have to re-install. Could I get rid of any Microsoft Works/Microsoft Office programs I don't want? And would I have to re-install audio software?

Is restoring relatively easy to do? How would I go about doing it?

Thanks! (:

Edited by alifeoftruth, 07 June 2011 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of the computer?

If it shipped with Windows 7 originally installed then there should be a Recover Partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore it to it's Factory New state.

Look in Disk Management (Click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter).
Is there a 2nd partition on the hard drive, usually D: often labeled Recovery or xxxxxxxx_RC.

If so, click Start then All Programs and see if there is a folder that has a Recovery link in it that you can use to start the Recovery process. If you don't see anything there then you can use a Fn key at boot (F11, Ctrl+F11 are often used) to start the Recovery process.

The Users Manual for your computer will have this information in it. It can be found at the manufacturers web site which is why we need the make and model number of the computer.

You will probably have to uninstall all the Foistware (programs vendors give you that you don't want).
Get rid of Norton or McAfee trial Anti-virus if it comes with it using the Norton Removal Tool or McAfee Removal Tool then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

If there is no Recovery Partition then you will need the XP Installation CD or a Recovery CD specific top your computer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello alifeoftruth.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, Look around and enjoy the forums. If you need any help just post in the appropriate forum and we will be glad to help. We are all volunteers so please understand we are not always here and it may take some time to respond to your post. :) :unsure: :yes:

We need the info that Ztrucker asked for. With that we can then guide you a little better.