Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somoto Toolbar installed without permission

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay and I have another question.

I downloaded and installed ERUNT for easy registry backups and restores. What are the 'System registry', 'Current user registry' and 'Other open user registry' options? Which ones should I select when performing a backup? I enabled the option to allow ERUNT to create a backup of the registry every time Windows starts - is there a way to enable and disable this option without re-installing the program?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 15 June 2011 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
HI!

What are the 'System registry', 'Current user registry' and 'Other open user registry' options? Which ones should I select when performing a backup? I enabled the option to allow ERUNT to create a backup of the registry every time Windows starts - is there a way to enable and disable this option without re-installing the program?

See this link in regards to first question: http://www.larsheder...erunt/erunt.txt

Specifically underneath: Backing up the registry with ERUNT

If you're going to back them up then I'd probably back-up all 3.

I don't know if there is a way to enable/disable that option without re-installing the program. I don't use ERUNT on my own computer.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay and now that I think about it... I should probably ask you about your opinion of registry cleaners. Some people say they're okay to use and others say it's best to avoid them. I've read that's good to run a registry scan after uninstalling software before installing new software. Personally, I've never had a problem using Auslogics Registry Cleaner.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I don't recommend the use of registry cleaners, they tend to cause a ton of damage, and end up causing way more problems then they ever could solve.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay. Have you used Revo Uninstaller? Could the same thing be said about Revo Uninstaller's ability to search for registry entries of a previously uninstalled program? I contacted their company a while ago and a representative of the company told me they actually recommend using the 'advanced' option to scan for left-over files/ folders/ registry entries.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I do use RevoUninstaller on my own personal computer, and don't see an issue with running the Advanced feature of it when removing a program.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
So it's okay to have it scan for and remove registry entries related to a program it previously uninstalled... That's good - It's what I've been doing all this time.

I can't think of anything else at the moment - I suppose this thread can be locked. If any new problems arise, I'll create a new thread.

Thanks for the help.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.