Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dial-up Speed Indications

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
When I place my cursor over the dial-up icon lower right on task bar near the clock, a speed is indicated as "speed xxx kbps." I have asked a computer store and repair facility and was told this was the speed available if i lived right next to the ISP router. I then notified my ISP Internet Help desk and was told this is the speed on the telephone line. Then I have also been told by them that this is the speed at which the modem is operating. I have had cases where primary dial-up gave me a speed of 28.2 kbps but when i log off and dial-up again immediately I can get an indication of as high as 42.5 kbps. So could someone tell me just what does this speed indicate. Is it the modem, the line, or what?

Regards

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
waynf
Lets see if I can get this correctly identified for you. In reality it is a combination of a lot of factors.

A dialup modem is rated at 56kbs. It will not have a speed any greater than that. In fact a Google search will show that you will not get any higher than 52kbs even though your icon may show 56kbs.

The limitations come through the condition of the phone lines. Be it in the home or the transmission lines.
I am not sure if distance from the isp is a factor if the lines are in perfect condition. I do know that if you hooked right in at the service provider then you would be getting close to the 56kbs.

If you're only connecting at 33.6k or less, your residential telephone line could be emanating from a repeater.

Hope this helps.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am not sure if distance from the isp is a factor

yep...the farther you are the slower the speed...same for cable and dsl