Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer power failure?

• Please log in to reply

SummerFun

SummerFun

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an HP, programmed with Windows XP.

A storm came through a few weeks ago. I turned my computer off before it hit. When I came back a few days later to turn it on, I pressed the power button and nothing happened. The power button doesn't turn blue (the color it lights up when it turns on) and the monitor is blank. Nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this? I had some documents that hadn't been backed up that I would like to recover; is this possible? I'm familiar with basic computer systems, but I'm not too savvy. Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your PSU may have taken the main hit.
Unplug your system from the wall for 5 minutes and then plug it back in and try it.
If not I would say the Power Supply Unit or PSU took a hit during the storm. Was the system still plugged into power during the storm?

SummerFun

SummerFun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it was still plugged in. I turned off my computer, but didn't think to unplug it from the wall. I will try this, thank you! If the PSU is the problem, is that fixable/replaceable or will I need to replace my computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the PSU itself took the main hit then replacing it is not that hard.
Is this a Desktop or laptop?
What make and model of HP?
Go to this site HERE and follow the instructions. It has a very good tutorial on how to remove and replace your PSU. Lots of pics to help guide you along.
FYI make sure you get a good quality PSU and at least if not more wattage then the one you have now.

SummerFun

SummerFun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a desktop; I'm at work now, so will have to check on the make and model when I get home, but it is from 2005, so it's an older computer, but has been great. I've had no problems with it until now. I will definitely check out that website, thank you again for your help! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets hope it is the PSU and not the mobo.
Let me know what make and model the PSU is and I will try to help find one that will replace it for you.
You will have to open the case and look for a sticker or plate on the PSU with all the information on it.