Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wanting to boot from wrong drive

• Please log in to reply

ident

ident

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
First i have already tried to remove both drives to see if my computer will boot. One will remove but the one i need to test is tight and i dont want to force it.

After installing windows on my backup drive after a fault on the main i seem to be unsure if i can delete the windows folder on the old main drive.

After some issues with windows i reformatted. My main hard drive was C:\and my back up hard drive was D:\ drive. After formatting my main hard drive my main drive letter become I: and C: was made as my backup drive. (Even though some previous windows folders where left on the C drive) At startup i have Two options to boot into windows. The new installation (I drive) and the old broken one (C drive) which i am now getting round to deleting and creating a new partition.

After opening partition magic I drive my main has the status of none while C drive has the status of active. Will this be problematic if i delete the c drive and create a new partition?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remove the old, broken drive that is now C:

Are they SATA or PATA (IDE) drives? If PATA then you may need to change the jumper of the remaining drive to Master or CS (Cable Select) and plug it into the last connector on the IDE cable.

If SATA then connect it the SATA 0 port.

Reinstall to the new drive. It should now be C:.

ident

ident

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
Hi thanks for the reply.

I am not really good with hardware. I think sata but how can i be sure? also the cable ribbon is stuck on one of the drives and advice for not forcing it off?>

Also dont know what the port 0 looks like :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those cables can sometimes be a pain to remove...just grab it and wiggle it while pulling back...