Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not open new windows

• Please log in to reply

nesmith52

nesmith52

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First of all, I am new here and I am an idiot. It took me 30 minutes just to sign up and figure out how to post this question. I am blonde, but really smart in other ways, I promise, this is just about to frustrate me into throwing my PC out the window. It is such an unusual problem, I don't even know how to explain it, but here goes. I got a virus or spyware a couple of weeks ago with a window popping up to download windows xp upgrade and I could not shut it down, it would just pop right back up and prevent me from opening any other sites. I got rid of it by restoring my computer to a week before and running some free spyware (malwarebytes) but my computer was not the same. All my desktop shortcuts were gone, my favorites were gone, and the biggest problem is the one I need help with. When I am on a site (for example...hotmail) and I try to click on a link to another website, it will not come up. This is very frustrating when trying to pay bills online. Most of my bills are online payments only now and when I click on pay your bill, a new window used to come up to pay the bill, and now it will not come up. I can't figure out anything to do to fix this. Please, please, somebody help me. I can follow instructions very well, just no technical talk without instructions or I will still be screwed. I hope you understand my explanation, if not, I can try to be more specific....thank you in advance for any help.

PS. Running Windows XP on Dell computer...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just want to add...do not pay your bills online until the malware pros give you a all clean