Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with new build! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok here is the story!

- Was running a dell dimension with a 350W power supply.... anyways... my little brother was messing with the PC and screwed something up. The computer would turn on just not display anything on the monitor. I figured that he screwed up the motherboard being that was what he was messicng with. I did my reading up on it and a lot of posts said that the problem sounded like power supply failure.

- I decided that the computer was getting old anyways and that I was going to build a new one. I ordered all of my parts..

500gb sata drive
2.9ghz amd AM3 processor
500 Watt power supply
case
etc.

- Everything came in EXCEPT the case.... I decided to use the computer without the case while I waited on it to be delivered. The power supply that came with the order was bent in many places and to no suprise was dead on arrival... I was very frustrated, didn't know what to do... BUT I did keep the old power supply from the dell.... so I figured what the heck I'll give it a shot...
- The computer fired right up! I was starting the computer by making a connection on the motherboard with a metal object because I didn't have a switch yet (no case)... thats besides the point but anyways the computer ran FINE! 2 whole days... I got Windows 7 installed and all updated and everything.

- The case finally came in for the computer, I got everything in the case... Hit the power button... it fires up..... NOTHING... fans are spinning, hard drive is running, lights are on except monitor acts as if there is no connection. Also when I plug in the ethernet cable I get NO lights. I have the computer setup with teamviewer and got on another PC to see if I could remote into it.. couldn't. ... so this is not just a video problem, it is something with the motherboard or power supply?!?! BUT IT WAS 100% WORKING BEFORE I PUT IT INTO THE CASE!
I have checked connections 1000 times, whats going on here?
- If the power supply was bad why was it working before I got it into the case??

Any help is appreciated!

Advertisements

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok edit.... I got a known working 485Watt power supply... SAME PROBLEM...

Could swatching the jumper settings screw up a motherboard?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
A common mistake is to have more standoffs (brass motherboard supports) in the case than the motherboard has mounting holes. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards of different shapes and sizes so it is common for the case to have many more mounting holes than the motherboard. An extra standoff can short the motherboard. You need to pull the board and verify you only have a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I will try that... I only have about 6 screws in it I think...

But, I think my brother caused that issue on the Dell when he was messing with the jumpers for some reason...
- I was having issues with this board when I first put it into the case, I couldn't get it to power on at all, so I messed around with the jumper settings. Then I finally found the issue which was the power switch was backwards so I swapped it and all was good, it would power on... fans spinning, hard drive running, everything but the onboard ports seem to be working. And everything is onboard, including the video. So what I am wondering is if the jumpers have something to do with it. Can they short out the motherboard or cause it to stop working like this?

This computer is now doing the same thing that the Dell was doing, powering on but not posting at all. Everything seems like it is getting power except the ports like I said..

Anyone know what could be the solution? Did I kill this motherboard with the jumper settings? I have made sure the jumpers are in the correct operating positions but still getting nothing. This is sooo frustrating to see it working out of the case but then not when it gets into the case. I hate to have to buy another board, but possibly what I need to do?
Thanks Digerati, I will try your solution tonight, and post my result. Gonna pull everything out just like it was before.

Thanks again,
Cameron

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Digerati is the man!

- Thought I had really screwed things up with this thing... It was really weird how I messed with the jumper settings and then nothing ever happened after that so I figured that was the problem.

Thanks for your solution! As you probably noticed, I am not a member on these forums and just registered for this question. Didn't want to be one of those people who come and post something and never return. Wanted to let you know that the problem was the board was shorting out due to putting a screw in the motherboard.... I pulled the motherboard back out, and then put in screw by screw making sure it would power on every time. Finally, I put in a screw and the fan spun and quit... Then it would not POST... this was the issue! Wow, thanks a lot and I am so glad to have this issue resolved.

- Thanks again Digerati

Cameron

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You are quite welcome. I am glad you got it sorted out. But I am still a little concerned.

the problem was the board was shorting out due to putting a screw in the motherboard....
I pulled the motherboard back out, and then put in screw by screw making sure it would power on every time. Finally, I put in a screw and the fan spun and quit... Then it would not POST... this was the issue!

That does not sound right. Do you now have one-for-one a standoff and a motherboard screw? If your board uses 6 mounting screws, there should only be 6 standoffs. If there is a screw or mounting hole in the motherboard, putting a screw there should not cause any problems. It is when there is a standoff under the board and no hole. Then that standoff ends up touching and shorting out circuits running on the underside of the board.

If you are saying when you screw a screw into a standoff, when you tighten it down the system stops, then that is not right either. It suggests to me there is undue flexing of the motherboard or there is something foreign under the board, and the pressure of tightening the board down is cause a short. It needs to be removed because normal vibrations from footfalls, fans and drive motors and other knocks will eventually cause the foreign object to make contact to something it should not - potentially causing permanent damage.

As far as jumpers, motherboards often have many and I would have to know exactly which one and have the reference materials to look it up. I would think your hardware manual (which you should be able to download) will tell or illustrate the default jumper settings. The manual will also, by the way, illustrate where to use the mounting screws.

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok thanks! Yeah I took that screw completely out. I don't know why there is a hole for it in the motherboard but there is.... I will look into the manual to see where it shows the screws go. Thanks for helping me sort that out. As far as the jumpers go, I have them back in their original places and everything is working well now, thanks to your help. This was my first build, thanks for the help with it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

This was my first build,

Feels good, huh?

Cameron55

Cameron55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This was my first build,

Feels good, huh?

! Gotta build more !

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, then build a backup machine. Or a PVR/HTPC.