Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs may be causing bad freezes?

• Please log in to reply

Neneko

Neneko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Every once in a while, my laptop will freeze, it will start with the programs, and won't let me open task manager, and then the task bar freezes but I can still move the cursor, very rare but sometimes it will freeze completely and will not recover.
I have a lot of programs on my computer that I don't use, that came with my system and I'm not entirely sure if they're causing the problem, and if I should remove any of them.
My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ61, Windows 7, 3GB RAM, 2.10GHz AMD Athlon II dual core processor, relatively new, purchased 28-November-2010.

The programs I don't use and I don't know if I need are not are listed below:

Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Community help
Adobe Media Player
Adobe Reader
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System (I removed Office after purchasing)
Cyberlink DVD Suite (I use the windows thing to burn CDs and DVDs, do I need this?)
Cyberlink MediaShow
Cyberlink PowerDVD 8
HP Advisor
HP Games
HP Quick Launch Buttons
HP Setup
HP Smart Web Printing (I don't have a printer)
HP Support Assistant
HP Update
HP User Guides
Labelprint
LightScribe System Software
Muvee Reveal
Pando Media Booster
Power2Go
PowerDirector
Windows Live Essentials 2011
Microsoft Silverlight

I was wondering if any of these programs removed would solve my problem with freezing. I often see these processes in my task manager that serve no purpose whatsoever and I'm just not sure what would help with the freezing. I've installed Malwarebytes, my anti-virus is Kaspersky Internet Security and neither of them have found anything wrong with my computer as far as malware goes. Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Neneko.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Though I see a lot that can removed lets see exactly what is starting in Autoruns first before I decide to rid you of them.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.