Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System gets BSOD 0x7b after virus removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
yes, I just had the drive number wrong, nice find. :)

So the commands are:

MbrFix /drive 4 savembr C:\Backup_MBR_0.bin
MbrFix /drive 4 fixmbr /vista /yes

Advertisements

NYJIMBO

NYJIMBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Those commands were accepted and returned no error, got back the prompt after each. Shut down the machine restarted and still
same 0x7b error. No difference.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
What does the blue screen say? Does it still say volsnap.sys is the problem?

In OTLPE go to start -> run. This will open up the run dialog. Type in sfc /scannow and press enter.

NYJIMBO

NYJIMBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The BSOD does not mention a filename only a 0x7b and some other codes, the second is 0x80399bb0, dont remember the third. It gives
you the usual stuff about "you might have a virus, or new hardware, or something....".

Just FYI: I have already run SFC /scannow a couple of days ago, it claimed no errors (or whatever wording it uses). Same
for chkdsk and several passes of ram testing and SMART tests.

Do you think I should run it again anyway ?

NYJIMBO

NYJIMBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I dont see a "start" icon or similiar in OTLPE, but I do see the normal start icon, which allows me to bring up run and then CMD, from the desktop of REATOGO. If I do it there it says "sfc" is not a known command or similiar wording.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
  • Turn off your computer. Turn it back on and start continuously pressing the F8 button.
  • You should get a black menu with some options.
    Posted Image
  • Select Repair Your Computer
  • At the menu that will appear then, select StartUp Repair
    Posted Image
  • It will try to fix any errors, follow all its prompts.

NYJIMBO

NYJIMBO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I guess we have run out of options. We have been through all that repair/restore/chkdsk/sfc/etc over and over. Nothing has worked.

I really do appreciate the effort you have put in to help me, but this has been going on for days and
just about everything we have done in this thread we have already tried in many different ways.

I am going to have to just end up with a nuke and pave. We will copy as much data as possible, try to do
a factory restore and see how that ends up.

Thank you very much for you help. I wish it ended up better, but sometimes you lose a few.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Oh well, sometimes the best way is to reformat.

Post back if you have any more questions.

-Mitch8

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.