Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA to eSATA problem

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Well, every forum thread I read about ASUS and eSATA ports are that they have to be enabled in the BIOS, but my BIOS doesn't have to have that option, so I decided to find all the drivers, just in case.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange lets check the Device Manager then

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Just a thought but have you tried the drive on another system to see if it works? If so then that would eliminate the cable as being bad and we would need to look at your laptop as the culprit.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I attached the device manager screenshot.

I know the drive works, because I used a SATA to usb adapter with it, and that worked fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• device manager.jpg

Edited by WhydoIask?, 30 June 2011 - 03:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep your device manager looks good so I'm still thinking the esata to sata cable may be the issue.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I just took a voltage meter to all the pins in the cable, and they all work, so the cable is definitely not the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then it has to be the esata port that is the issue. Do you have more then one and if so have you tried the others?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
sorry, I just have the 1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not good then as that would mean the one esata port has failed.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
That's odd, but understandable. I have a program from Intel that I can open that registers that the port exists, but I guess it's lying to me.

EDIT: I guess I'll just stick one of these into my ExpressCard slot and be done with the whole thing.

Edited by WhydoIask?, 30 June 2011 - 08:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is confusing but once you connect it the system should pop up a window saying a new device has been detected like it dues with USB.
With no detection and assuming the port is working correctly then you have to suspect the cable or the drive itself.
You check that by switching out the cable and still no luck you test the original cable and hd on another system.
If it works there then you have to assume it is the port on the laptop causing the issue.

Advertisements

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I know it's not the drive, because I'm accessing it right now using Genie Timeline over my network (took me 12 hours to back up 40GB of data, What the...?)
I know it's not the cable, because the continuity setting on my voltage meter says that there is current going to every connector.

That only leaves the port. I can check that with the voltage meter too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is the port then your only option would be to do as you have been doing and use the sata to usb adapter.