Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiping everything clean?

• Please log in to reply

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, here is my problem.

I have a Dell laptop, it uses Windows 2000 (I think, it could be ME), it used to work fine but when you turn it on, it goes to the Windows display but never loads to the desktop.

Is there any way I can wipe it clean, I do not have the Windows disk it came with, I received the laptop from an old job I had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will also try to answer any questions you may need to ask to get a better idea of the problem. Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
What is the model number of the laptop? Many Dells have an option to revert back to factory specs which would not require the CD.

Are you trying to make it work or just clean it off before discarding?

Ron

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's a Dell PP01L.

I want it to work again but I'm not bothered about wiping it clean. If I could save the files on it then great but if not it's no problem.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I'm getting two different computers with that model number. One is a Latitude C600/C500 laptop and the other is an Inspiron of some sort. Do you see a Service Tag on it? See
http://support.dell....ntifyyoursystem

If it's the Latitude then there is no hidden partition.

To rescue your files you might try the AVG rescue disk:

http://www.geekstogo...ystem-tutorial/

I think it has a file manager on it that should let you copy files to a USB or burn them to a CD.

The Ultimate Boot CD is also handy:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

One thing that happens to old laptops is the battery drags them down so try removing the main battery and see if it will boot.
Perhaps in Safe Mode. (Reboot and when you hear the beep, see the Dell logo or it mentions F8, Start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you see the Safe Mode menu and select the top option.)

Another common problem is hard drive failure. It's a moving part so subject to wear. The Ultimate Boot CD has several Drive tests tho I think you have to know who makes your drive which it will probably tell you.

Laptops also have small air vents and are subject to overheating if these get clogged with dust so take a vacuum clean hose and try to suck out the dust from each vent.

Ron