Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop DV1000 SE

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
A friend gave me his laptop said he doesnt know what happened but it wont turn on. Ok so I don't know if is the charger, battery, board, etc..........how do I figure it out? Isnt there a way (backdoor) like pull battery out and power on or something? Plug it in on lights or anything...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Isnt there a way (backdoor) like pull battery out and power on or something? Plug it in on lights or anything...

Correct, remove the battery and try the AC adapter only, if this doesn`t work you could also try removing all power + the Ram and then press the power on button for 30 seconds, this will discharge any static that may have built up in the system which can cause various issues, reassemble and see how it goes.
If the above does not work it may be either a MB or power button issue, both of these will require dismantling the laptop which may be best left to a suitably competent person if you are not comfortable with it.
Disassembly guide @ http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00312379.pdf should you require it.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes very well versed in taking apart. Ok will try all. question thou, if the power supply is pluged in to wall shouldn't it heat up a little and be warm???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

if the power supply is pluged in to wall shouldn't it heat up a little and be warm???

Only if power is actually coursing through the MB.
Does the AC adapter have an LED on it to show that there is power present?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
No I have two chargers and both without lights...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
This makes it difficult to establish if the AC adapters are working correctly, it is less likely but not impossible that the 2 AC adapters are bad and not the battery or MB.
What happens when the battery is removed and only the AC adapter is connected?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Nothing same situation