Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP comp is freezing more than usual

• Please log in to reply

arizuka

arizuka

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
In the whole time I've had it (almost five years), this computer has rarely froze, but lately it seems to be doing it more, like, oh between 1-3 times a week, which, like I said, is very unusual for it. I don't think it's virus-related, as there aren't really any other symptoms and I've done a lot of scans and nothing suspicious shows up. It will typically freeze after coming back from the screensaver, before the password screen. Though it has froze a few other times in the middle of use.

I've heard that increased freezing can have to do with registry errors, but I've never found anything I would trust to clean up my registry, so Idk if you guys would have any suggestions...

But anyway, any ideas, more info I can give, etc.?

Thanks~

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi arizuka
Possible causes include bad Ram, a failing power supply, low storage space on the HDD and heat caused by dust bunnies, when was the last time the computer was cleaned out?
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.
It is dependent on the requested info on which way to proceed first.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Hi arizuka
Possible causes include bad Ram, a failing power supply, low storage space on the HDD and heat caused by dust bunnies, when was the last time the computer was cleaned out?
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.
It is dependent on the requested info on which way to proceed first.

The dust thing has been a problem in the past, but I've been keeping up on it pretty well, so I kiiiinda doubt it's that. Esp since I could hear the fan kicking into high gear before it froze (in the past when the dust thing was an issue). The other ones are probably not likely. But, it's a desktop, a Gateway T3418. 98/144 gigs free on the main harddrive, 300/500 gigs free on the second harddrive. 896 mb RAM.

@rshaffer, thanks for that info, I will download that stuff and report back~

Edited by arizuka, 09 June 2011 - 06:29 PM.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer AIE (desktop)
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2011-06-09
Time 17:42

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name AIE (desktop)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Sempron, 2000 MHz (10 x 200)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 896 MB
BIOS Type Award (01/13/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6100 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA C51
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (LEZ0W0034329)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek AC'97 Audio [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive ST3500630A (465 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive ST3160212A (149 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:12x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 148075 MB (101608 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4540 MB (2287 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 476929 MB (318162 MB free)
Total Size 614.8 GB (412.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (192.168.1.102)
Modem PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Canon iP1600
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Multimedia Card Reader
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Screenshot of Sensor: http://img855.images...140/unledco.jpg

And hopefully the autorun thing attaches

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope no Autorun.txt file attached

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok, um, that's weird. let me try it again.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "WinampAgent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok, did the autorun, tfc and the defrag. url displayed after the pitstop thing is: http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=24406399

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first go HERE and follow the instructions to reduce the space system restore is using.
Your Java is also one update behind and needs to be updated for security purposes.
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
well firefox loaded a lot faster after i completed these steps. but for the java, i'm not sure which to download. it has windows x86, windows intel itanium and windows x64

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open FF and at the top click on Help and then click on About FireFox
First line should tell you what version and if it is 32 or 64 bit.
I would suspect 32 bit as XP 64 bit is displayed very large on bootup and if you don't see that then you are at 32 bit.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok, installed java and removed the old ones

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great that gives you more security now.
Have you reduced the restore points space?