Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't update driver for my prehistoric monitor!

• Please log in to reply

Neeruam12

Neeruam12

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am unable to change my screen resolution and so all of my windows are humongus. I can't change it just by moving the little arrow in display properties. I assume because my monitor is really really old that I should update the driver. So I downloaded my driver from dell, have it all ready to go but it's not working. Here are the instructions to update:
To manually install or update the driver, perform the following
steps:

1. Click Start-> Control Panel-> and then double-click
Display icon.
2. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab, and then
click Advanced.
3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click Properties -> Driver tab ->
Update Driver.
Here is where the probelm happens. I can't click the properties button (see screen shot)!
Is there any other way to do this? going nuts.. please help!monitor issues.JPG

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,962 posts
Hi Neeruam12,

Looking at the screen shot that you provided above, if it was a driver issue most likely the icons on your desktop would also be affected but it looks as if they are not.

Could you please provide a screen shot of one of the windows that is humongous so we could get a better idea of what exactly is going on. Sounds like you may need to resize your windows. If this is the case the link below may help you.

How to resize an open window in XP

It could also be that zoom is enabled. Also try this:

Press and hold the Ctrl and then tap the - key at the same time. (Ctrl + -)

Let us know if this helps to solve your problem or not and we can guide you further.

Donna :)

Neeruam12

Neeruam12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can zoom out but then everything becomes so tiny that it's not really legible. I will show you a screen shot of a too big window. This one is a good example because I can't view the bottom of the page even by zooming out.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• too big.JPG

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,962 posts
Neeruam12,

I don't think that is a driver issue. Are you using a CRT type monitor (the kind that looks like a TV)?

Try this:

1. Click Start-> Control Panel-> and then double-click Display icon.

2. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab, and then look for the slider bar under Screen resolution, drag the slider further to the right (or left), and then click Apply.

3. When prompted to apply the settings, click OK. Your screen will turn black for a moment.

4. Once your screen resolution changes, you have 15 seconds to confirm the change. Click Yes to confirm the change; click No or do nothing to revert to your previous setting. You may have to experiment with the slider bar till the web page fits your screen.

Here's a link that may help you.--> To change your screen resolution - XP

Let me know if that helps any.