Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP glitchy problems I can't figure out

• Please log in to reply

ajisbak

ajisbak

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hiya guys! For the last 4 days or so anything I run online (and sometimes just reg programs offline) they seem really glitchy and slow. I've talked to my internet provider to rule that out and they looked and say everything looks fine as far as my packets and such.

I thought it was going to be either a memory problem or my video card (Nvidia) but a friend of mine that knows more then me has tried to help me and we've run a hardward diagnostic tool (HWiNFO32.exe)and shows ok... a SeaTools program to stress the HDs and that passed.... and a Prime95 and that passed. I updated my NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS drivers...ran Ad-Aware, AVG (which now I can't get to shut off and shows tons of junk in my task manager, Malwarebytes.

Yet still it acts weird and really slow. Especially when I'm trying to play my online games/apps, it like freezes up for 15-30 sec at a time. Even my dif browsers are really slow to load and shut down. I'm at a loss as to what to try to figure this out... so I thought I'd come to the pros to ask for HELP!! :)

Let me know what you need to help me figure this out!!

Thanks in advance
Amy Jo

Advertisements

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Fogot to mention in my 1st post as things were locking up more, I had a game open and tried to open a browswer and it gave me the blue screen of death. It was after that happened that we tried to run the dif things I meantioned above.

Loading my browser seems even slower today! :)

Please help asap!!

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks in advance for you help!! MUCH appreciated!! :) Let me know what else you need...

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest Sensor ss.JPG
  • SpeedFan ss.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem with any of the logs or speedfan.
Let try some other programs and see what we can find.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok TFC and thats finished. Should I run the defrag on every HD and partition??

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
NM I started it and I see that it automatically does all drives. Although my E: drive thats a partition on my big HD it says there isn't enough room to do it on that one (so I had to his skip) and thats all my Videos that I recorded off my DVDs to when/if my kids ruined them I could make another! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I gues the E drive is what you are referencing.

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 7% on drive E:.

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Correct thats my drive that has only DVDs of mine that I copied to keep for a just in case senario! :) Now what should I try?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory is the next test to run.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
a good friend of mine had me run that 2 days ago when I was having problems and I let it run fully and it finished with PASSED on all and 0 errors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I did a scandisk a day ago and it showed nothing. I tried to find that Winlogon for you but wasn't in there. I'll run another one tonight and see if it shows up this time so I can send that to you tomorrow once it's done!

Thanks again for all your help!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Scandisk and chkdsk are not exactly the same

ajisbak

ajisbak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Np I went ahead and ran the memtest86 last nite and let it run 10 times and PASSED 10 ERRORS 0

Then I set the chkdsk /r and restarted machine and let that run all nite. I went into the Event Viewer and found the Winlogon, but when I dbl click on it that opens the Event Properties for and shows
Date: 6/11/2011 Source: Winlogon
Time: 12:15:27 PM Catagory: None
Type: Information Event ID: 1001

But in the description it won't let me copy and paste it? How do I get you the log copied onto here so you can see it now?? :) I tried to highlight it and clicked on Export List but that just puts the whole list thats in the Application and it shows 3,094 event(s)

Help?!?